Getting Back to What You Know

Thank you for being patient in-between updates. Some will be slower than others but I appreciate your loyalty and support.

Gen's POV

"Thank God you're back!" Arizona and Alex tackle me with hugs before our staff meeting.

"I am." I confirm proudly.

"I also heard Minnick and Brown are gone too. Hell, yes." Alex exclaims. Arizona looks at him with concern.

"What did you say?"

"Minnick, the menace is gone." Alex repeats for her. I touch Arizona's arm.

"She was fired for negligence for what happened last night. She failed to report Edward's missing." I explain to her.

"And what about Brown?" Arizona as she tries to process this.

"She got Gen's kid hurt by failing to care for a child that was in her care."

"What?"

"Davina is okay and is recovering from surgery. And it wasn't just last night. There were records of Brown not doing what she was told and instead ignoring any order given to her by multiple attendings." I explain. "It was bound to be her time."

"I...did..." Arizona is trying to understand this. "Is Eliza...is she still here?"

"I have no idea."

"Hey, I have big news I need to share with you." Meredith whispers in my ear. People are staring at us; I know it's because of everything that happened last night.

"Okay, um, all right, everyone!" Bailey gets the staff's attention. "Listen up, please! Uh, first, I want to thank you all for keeping your heads during the events of last night. Thanks to you, there were very minimal injuries. And the firefighters were able to contain the blaze quickly. Unfortunately, there was some damage; however, that will need to be repaired. Uh, the neuro ICU, the catch lab, and pulmonary clinic..." Bailey lists off the damages. "The damages mean certain stations will be off limits until the repairs can be done. So until further notice, O.R.s 3-6 are nonfunctional. And the entire neuro wing, as they are unstable." A crashing sound makes us all step back as the ceiling above the nurse's station caves in. "And also avoid the fourth-floor nurse's station until further notice. But on a happier note, I am pleased to announce that Dr. Benoist will be rejoining Legacy Memorial as the Chief of ortho, fetal, and co-Chief of pediatric surgery alongside Dr. Robbins and Karev." Everyone claps for me, but it feels like something bigger is coming.

"We need to talk now." Meredith whispers, and I follow her to a secluded hallway. "One hello. Happy to have you back. And...Mark told me about Gerard." She hugs me, and I hug her tightly back.

"Thanks, Mer. It's... it's been a hectic seventy-two hours." I share.

"Did he go peacefully?" I nod my head.

"Surrounded by his family. He got to say his last goodbyes and get his affairs in order. It's what any of us could want."

"Do you and Mark need anything?"

"We're fine. Making it through it one day at a time. Oh, when Gerard died, he gave me his hospital shares."

"His..." Meredith's eyes widen. "Like...wow, so do you fully own the hospital?"

"Technically, yes, but we're already getting pushback from the Harper Avery Foundation, which is to be expected. But that's for lawyers to figure out, and now I can get back to treating my patients." I explain to her.

"Wow, that...did he also give you a lot of money?"

"Yes." I answer. "He gave us all lots of money after he split it between the charities he was devoted to." I explain.