f o r t y - f o u r : [ grand gesture ]

"My heart literally stopped for a minute

"My heart literally stopped for a minute. I always believed that it did because my heart had always beat for you. Getting over you and your death was the most painful thing I had to endure."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dubai approached Palermo who she hasn't been able to properly speak to since she returned to the Bank. He was sitting silently on the bench outside of the room where Helsinki was.

She recognized the look on his face. A look that Palermo was unaccustomed with, but one that Dubai had personally worn countless of times. The look of guilt.

"You must hate me. This is all my fault. I got Nairobi killed. She was like a sister to you and she's gone because of me," frowned Palermo as his eyes avoided Dubai.

"You did release the asshole knowing what he's capable of," agreed Dubai.

"But you weren't the one who pulled the triggered on Nairobi," pointed out Dubai.

There was a moment of silence between the two of them.

"For the record, I don't hate you. I'm mad at you. But I can never hate you," corrected Dubai.

"And you wondered why I was ever in love with you," scoffed Palermo.

"Probably because I'm the first and only woman who's able to tolerate your shit. Which is not easy, by the way," teased Dubai causing Palermo to roll his eyes playfully at her.

Dubai then observed Palermo's lingering glance towards Helsinki, who was sitting on the ground, evidently still in pain from Nairobi's death.

"Helsinki is a great guy. You were the biggest asshole to him and he still continued to care for you and be there for you. I know that you care about him too. So, maybe it's finally time for you to pick a love that you deserve. An easy, unconditional, and requited love," advised Dubai.

Palermo simply nodded his head. He was tired of the pain that went along with being in love with people who couldn't reciprocate it.

Palermo appreciated Dubai's efforts to comfort him. Dubai may not have always been there for Palermo. But when it matters most, Dubai always knew the right things to say.

"What about you?" asked Palermo.

"Let me remind you that you're not physically attracted to me. I don't have the stick that you desire," joked Dubai, knowing perfectly well what Palermo was trying to say.