10) THE THIRD TASK!

TW: Character Death and Panic Attacks. 

Harry's lip trembles as the band plays jovial music. He can hear the applause and all he can think about is getting out of here as soon as possible. He doesn't care if he wins. He just wants everyone to survive.

The late-spring sun is scorching on the back of his neck as Harry, along with the other Triwizard Champions, entire the arena. The crowd of students claps and waves flags, showing their support for a specific champion. Harry can't help but notice that he has the least amount of people cheering him on.

"Silence!" Dumbledore says into his wand, the music played by the orchestra stops, "Professor Moody placed the Triwizard Cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position."

Find the cup. Harry thinks to himself. The sooner he finds it, the sooner he can leave. And once he leaves, Voldemort will most likely be unable to return.

"Now as Mr. Diggory-" The crowd erupts into cheers at the mention of his name, "And Mr. Potter-" Even more applause, "Have tied for first position, they will enter first in the maze, followed by Mr. Krum-" A group of students start clapping, "And Miss. Delacour." The girls at Beauxbatons cheer, "First person to touch the cup, will be the winner!"

More people cheer, and Harry's gut wrenches as he knows he will enter the maze soon. It looks large and intimidating. The green bushes are towering roughly twenty feet above them. Harry doesn't want his thoughts to linger on what could be in there. But he knows that death eaters are going to be present; he has to be on guard and try to protect the others.

"I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter. Should at any point, a contestant should wish to withdraw from the task, he or she need only send up red sparks with their wand." He gestures at his wand.

Harry lets out a breath he didn't realize he was holding. He can back out. He won't do it immediately, he'll wander around aimlessly for a moment, make it look like he tried, then he'll act like he was in danger and withdraw. He just hopes the others will choose the same.

"Contestants! Gather 'round! Quickly!"
The Triwizard Champions walk swiftly to Dumbledore. "In the maze, you'll find no dragons or creatures of the deep. Instead, you'll face something even more challenging," Dumbledore warns, "You see, people change in this maze. Go find the cup if you can, but be very wary. You could just lose yourselves along the way." Dumbledore slowly turns back to the crowd, "Champions! Prepare yourselves!" The crowd erupts into cheers.

Harry doesn't remember walking to the entrance until he notices he's standing next to mad-eye Moody. He stares off, his mind blank and desensitized to the world around him.

He briefly hears Dumbledore instruct him along with Cedric to go into the maze. They exchanged a curt nod of respect right as the cannon signals it's time for him to take his leave. Harry wishes he doesn't have to, though. He wants to spend as little time as possible in there. He wants to get out as soon as possible.

Harry slowly enters the maze after Moody gives him a reassuring pat on his shoulder. Something about Moody's demeanor sends chills down Harry's spine. Moddy seems different; almost like he's planning something. But Harry doesn't have time to contemplate the sudden change in Moody's demeanor. He has a war to prevent.

The bushes around the maze close up on itself. The music slowly fades out, until Harry is left with deafening silence. The fog around him speaks to his glasses, so he casts a water-repellent charm on them. The air around him turns cold. Harry feels as if what used to be the sun beating down on his back is now humid frosty air, making him numb. It's weird, how fast the temperature has changed. Almost like he's fallen into the presence of a dementor. The mood is different, as well. It's just as cold and icy as the temperature. It's like the second he's walked into the maze, his happiness has drained out.