7) THE SECOND TASK!

TW: Mentions of Death.

The anticipation before the second task is driving Draco mad. He feels awful for picking a fight with Harry before the boy walks to his death because there is no way Harry can survive underwater for that long.
But maybe, this is for the best. As morbid as it sounds, Draco secretly hopes Harry dies during this task rather than the third one. Draco knows that if Harry were to die at the hands of Death Eaters, it would be a tortuous and slow demise. One filled with torment and agony. The death Draco is destined to have.

Draco also knows that it is likely that Harry is the key to bringing Voldemort back.
That if Harry were to die right now instead of later, it would prevent the loss of thousands of lives.

But that doesn't excuse the fact that he is wishing death on an innocent soul. That doesn't make it right. Just because he has a decent reason behind his secret wish, doesn't mean it's justified.
I am a despicable person.

The cool winter air stings Draco's face as he stands in the towers lifted above the black lake. His face is numb from the frost, even after casting heating charms.

"Welcome to the second task!" Dumbledore announces over the loud cheering, everyone becomes quiet at his voice, "Last night, something was stolen from each of our champions. A treasure of sorts."

What could be so valuable that someone would risk their life over it? What could be so important that someone would be willing to risk death for?

"These four treasures, one for each champion, now lie at the bottom of the black lake," Dumbledore continues, "To win, each champion need only to find their treasure and return to the surface. Simple enough. Except for this, they have one hour to do so. And for one hour only. After that, you are on your own. You may begin at the start of the cannon."

The cannon booms and three of the champions dive into the lake. All except for Harry, that is. Draco notices that he begins to choke and he's immediately worried for him.
Is he okay? Does he need help? Why isn't anyone helping him? He needs help! What if he dies?
But then, a disturbing thought runs through his head, one that makes him feel sick,
it would be better for him to die, now.
Draco's eyes widen at his thoughts surfacing his mind. Oh, Salazar! He's turning into his father! His father would wish for people's death and Draco is just like him.

He is suddenly snapped out of his trance when he hears a splash, "What happened? Where did Potter go?"

"Moody pushed him in," Blase says, "And, the second task begins!"

"Can't you see that this is dangerous? No student should be involved in this kind of thing. This is how people die!" Pansy says from beside him, looking utterly annoyed by Blaise's enthusiasm, "If it weren't for the tournament, we'd be safe from you-know-who, idiot!"

Blaise remains silent, watching the still water nervously, "Is he okay? He hasn't come up for air yet."

"I'm sure he's fine," Draco waves his hand dismissively, "It's Potter, he always wins."

But the water remains still as the frigid air bites down on Draco's face, numbing it completely.

All of a sudden, Harry leaps out of the lake and flips into the air. The crowd goes ballistic, the applause unbelievably loud.

Draco can't help but feel relieved. Harry will be safe. He'll be alright. But then he tenses; of course, Harry has to be so bloody perfect!
Don't get him wrong, he would never wish upon Harry's death during normal circumstances (aside from the beginning of the year, he was just an idiot back then) But nothing is normal right now.
Draco is bound by his father's mistakes. He is forced into something he wants to be a part of. He has knowledge others don't. He is forced to not only witness but help plan out the death of his classmate. And all because said classmate didn't die as an infant.