16) THE ESCAPE!

TW: Mentions of Abuse.

Draco paces the kitchen nervously. He just did that. He considers the fact that he was about to cast dark magic on Vernon, the magic he'd seen his father use. He was going to do the same fucking thing that his father had done. He was going to be just as awful as Lucius.

If seeing Harry in pain hadn't snapped him out of it, he would've followed through. He would've been the reason Harry witnesses something so traumatic. Even though Vernon abuses him, seeing something like that leaves scars.

Harry would never be able to forget it, just like Draco.

"What's wrong?" Harry asks. He looks concerned for Draco, but if anything, he should be angry with him. He was going to torture Vernon in front of him. He is no better than Lucius.

"I-I was gonna cast something really bad on him," Draco says, not making eye contact with him.

Harry gives him a reassuring look, "But you didn't, that's what matters. I'm proud of you."

Draco's heart skips a beat at those words. Proud. People are rarely proud of him and when they are, they don't do much to show it.

"I was about to. I would've done it if it wasn't for you," Draco grimaces at his words. Salazar, he's so vulnerable right now.
He hates being this weak, especially in front of Harry.

"Was it an unforgivable?" He asks curiously.

"N-No . . . worse," Draco says, so quietly that Harry can scarcely hear him.

"What could be worse than an unforgivable?" Harry asks, now even more intrigued.

"M-My father has a collection of really dark magic . . . he's used the spells on house elves in front of me, to punish me. But one spell has stuck in my mind," he says, "It made every ounce of blood drain from her body . . . she was my friend. I couldn't save her,"
Tears pool in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry, Draco. You were going to use that on Vernon?"

"Y-Yes. But then I stopped when I realized you were still in the room. I didn't want you to see that."

Harry hugs Draco tightly, "I'm sorry you had to watch that."

"I am, too."

They stare into each other's eyes for a few moments. They feel a weird sort of tension between the two of them but they can't place exactly what it is. They choose to ignore it by breaking apart.

"What do we do now?" Asks Draco after a few moments of silence.

"I don't wanna stay here," Harry whispers, his voice clear but timid, like he's trying to hide how disturbed he is by the idea of staying there for another second.

"Me neither. Who can we stay with?"

"The Weasleys would probably take us in," Harry says.

"They'd take you in. They hate me."

"Oh, they don't hate you," Harry says, scoffing and waving his hand to the side, which accidentally hits Draco in the face. He pulls his hand away quickly, ". . . Sorry."

"It's alright," he rubs his face, "As you were saying?"

"Oh, right. They find you annoying, but after they hear about how you ever so bravely saved my life, you'll be a member of the family," Harry says with a large grin.

Draco smiles lightly at that; he's never had a family. Not a real one. When he was younger, he was very close with his mother, but when Lucius found out that she was encouraging him to treat muggle-borns as equals, he forced her to stay away from him.