fifteen

Like a shimmering antique to be shown off and desired, the sun majestically beamed down harshly onto the three friends. Jimin squints his eyes; Hoseok shields his face with his hand; Taehyung takes it like the champ he is. Since it is now early November, the heat acts as an unwelcomed visitor. However, global warming will be global warming.

Jimin feels like he's dying in his jacket. Once a toasty, fluffy safe haven from the chilly breeze, now a cage of stuffy, sweaty torture. His companions seem to be more dressed for the weather, probably forgoing winter clothing once they caught a glimpse outside. On the other hand, Jimin adores his puffy jacket and has always believed in: 'dressing for the weather you want not the weather you have'  (which is not the saying - Taehyung likes to constantly remind him.)

"So," Hoseok is the first to speak. "We've got a lot to talk about, huh?" The atmosphere suddenly contorts into one of awkwardness. Sure, Hoseok and Jimin used to be close for the last year of high school but once Hoseok left for the UK, they had slowly stopped talking altogether. Not to mention the fact that Taehyung had been chosen as the transfer student the year the other two became all buddy-buddy. Hoseok and Taehyung knew each other briefly from dance practice when they were assigned a project together but hadn't bonded much past that. Maybe awkward was a bit of an understatement.

"I heard a new coffee shop opened a little ways past here, wanna go get something to drink before we chat?" Jimin, always the angel, swoops in with his surprisingly good social skills and gives them a motive. The other two both agree and Jimin leads the way.

The store is small and charming. Opening the door, Jimin is a bit upset to not register a bell but moves on quickly. Hoseok, seeming to gain some confidence perhaps from Jimins display of such, walks up to the counter and smiles at the person behind it. They have light blue hair that looks shockingly healthy despite the unnatural colour. Black eyes contrast nicely with their pale skin and they wear the uniform of the store. Subjectively, they are very pretty.

"Hi! We'd like to order?" The person smiles a textbook customer service smile "Of course, what would you like?" Hoseok looks back at Jimin and Taehyung. "I'll be paying, so you two can pick whatever you like." Jimin furrows his eyebrows "But Hyu-" before he can even finish his sentence, the eldest is cutting him off. "No buts, this is my treat yeah? You can also view it as an apology if that makes you feel better." Jimin just sighs, not seeing the worth in arguing. Hoseok was not Yoongi after all.

"Fine... I'll have a regular coffee with two teaspoons of sugar and no milk." The pinkette smiles his go-to order and the barista writes it down on their little notepad. Hoseok had turned to look at the menu on the wall but now he turns back. "Can I just have an iced americano, please?" They then all turn to Taehyung. He looks like he's been starstruck and that expression deepens when he's met with dark gazes. "U-Uhm... I'll take normal coffee... Black!" He seems to instantly cringe at his rushed answer and the quizzing looks on him only get more intense.

Jimin knew Taehyung hated coffee with a burning passion, that was to be expected. But the fact that Hoseok knew it as well meant that Taehyung wasn't silent about this. However, the barista is already turning away to make their orders there was no taking it back. When they sit at a table to let the people behind them order, Jimin questions his best friend. "What was that about? You despise coffee, especially black coffee!" Taehyung slaps both of his red cheeks, squishing his mouth and forcing his words to be mumbled. "I know! That server was just so cute, I don't know what came over me..!"

Jimin shakes his head and Hoseok laughs teasingly. "Does this mean you've finally gotten over your crush on Jungkook?" Taehyungs cheeks only burn up more as he neither confirms nor denies the question. Hoseok makes an indignant squawking sound like he's shocked and offended at once. "Tae has a crush on Kookie?!" The youngest groans as Jimin practically shouts: "Yes! Six years and counting!!" "Six whole years?!" "I know right?! I can barely believe it either."

"Can we just stop talking about this?" Taehyung practically pleads, ready to clasp his hands together if necessary. "No can do, my dearest friend. Do you not remember the day I told you that I'd never stop teasing you for this until you finally confessed like a grown-up?" Jimin speaks like he's superior to Taehyung but they all can tell it's a bit he's doing. Jimin and Taehyung have always viewed each other as equals.

The drinks are served to them soon enough. Jimin and Hoseok both enjoy what they ordered whilst Taehyung stares at his white styrofoam cup in disgust. Jimin snorts "Bet you 5000 won you can't finish that." Like a match struck against wood, the brunettes eyes light up in scorching flames. "Deal." Is all he says before he places the cup to his lips and tips his head back. The liquid is piping hot and as bitter as can be and Taehyung can only down three sips before the fourth one is physically rejected by his body and spat back into the cup.

He coughs and gags as Jimin reaches out to pat him on the back. Hoseok chuckles lowly against the straw of his iced coffee and once the brunette had calmed down, the pinkette gave him a look. A look that said 'Time to pay up.' Taehyung sighs before pulling his wallet out his back pocket and passing on the amount they had agreed on. It was a small glimmer that had happened simultaneously in both of their eyes, easily overlooked by Hoseok but obviously identifiable by the two boys themselves.

This was not going to be the last bet they make with each other.

Curse their competitive nature.