thirty nine

Taehyung wonders for a moment - in the frosty blue night - whether Jungkook had stood him up. The frozen wind brushes past his tan skin and goosebumps arise along his arms. Both Jimin and Yoongi told him that the only short-sleeved garment he presented fit him the best, but now he regrets following their advice, or at least not grabbing a jacket on his way out. Taehyung shivers from the cold air but also from the thought of Jungkook being a no-show.

His phone displays the time and Taehyung feels anxious as minutes pass like seconds and there's still no sign of the younger man.

"Taehyung!" Jungkooks voice echoes through the empty street as he suddenly appears from around a corner. A wave of relief crashes over the blue-haired man as he walks up to meet the other in the middle. "Sorry I'm late, I missed the bus!" He laughs at himself and Taehyung can't help but laugh too.

Jungkook is wearing black cargo pants, a leather jacket and a black bucket hat. Strands of red hair peek from under the hat and frame his face like a halo. He looks stunning under the soft glow of the moon. "Wow, you look beautiful." The redhead reads the elder's mind but sends it back to him instead. Taehyung can't help but blush.

"...Are you gonna tell me where we're going?" Jungkook laughs as he takes Taehyungs hand, "Nope!" He says in a playful tone, Taehyung just rolls his eyes. The redhead leads them down the street and after a couple twists and turns - and even a minute where Taehyung is sure Jungkook had gotten them lost - they finally arrive at a large field behind an even larger brick building - It looks like it could be anything so Taehyung doesn't even try to guess.

It's completely empty but looks well kept which makes Taehyung wonder if this is private property. The grass is a luscious shade of green with small white flowers scattered around. It looks sort of eerie at night but in the prettiest way possible. A little ways past the field is a glistening river and past that is the bustling city. "Whoa..." Taehyung gasps at the view. He belatedly realizes that Jungkook had been wearing a backpack this whole time when he takes it off and zips it open. "I thought it'd be fun if we had a mini picnic." He explains.

Jungkook pulls out a light purple blanket and spreads it across the grass, taking special care to lay it out smoothly. Then he takes out some snacks that he must've just bought before coming here. Taehyung smiles wide, his heart stuttering at the thought of the other planning all of this out for him. "This is really sweet of you..." He says. Jungkook gestures for the elder to take a seat next to him. "C'mon, then!" So he does.

When he sits, he's handed a lemon-flavoured canned drink still cool to the touch, a milk chocolate bar that somehow had not melted yet and - to his pleasant surprise - his favourite generic brand cheese puffs. "I didn't know what you liked so I just got all the basics." The redhead smiles sheepishly. "No way, this is my favourite!" Taehyung expresses, holding the packet of cheese puffs up to his chest. "Really, they're my favourite, too!" Jungkooks mesmerizing eyes widen at the coincidence and they both laugh it off.

Once they start eating it gets a little awkward so Taehyung speaks up. "So... What made you wanna take me out?" Jungkook looks at him like he just asked the most obvious thing ever. "Are you kidding? is that even a question??" He answers straight away even though his mouth is still full of cheese puffs. He quickly swallows before continuing.

"You're literally the prettiest person I've ever seen, ever. And I dormed with The Park Jimin during Uni so you know I'm not bluffing." He talks seriously like he's trying to prove a point. The elder feels his face heat up at the praise. "Apart from your looks, you're also so funny and smart and sweet, like hello, have you even met yourself? Who wouldn't want to date you?" "Okay, okay! that's enough..." Taehyung hides his red face behind his large hands and Jungkook only chuckles at him. "Alright, fine. What made you get my initials tattooed onto your wrist?"