Just Stop Running

(That's Cherokee she is 14)

I turned a corner quickly, climbing a ladder to the building. I hated this town for a passion. Why did I have to get lost here? It's the most infested place, I have ever seen. I've been running for days my feet are killing me I wanted to rest.More importantly, I just want daddy. I had gone home but he was gone. Of course, he would be gone. Why would he stay behind? Luckily I was tracking him but lost the trail a while ago. Right now, I would even settle for seeing Uncle Merle. I sighed as I reached the top, climbing onto the building. I pushed my long brown hair back. I looked at the rooftop for eaters. That's what I've called them.. the dead. It still puzzles me how this all started. All I remember is that chilling news announcement. Within a few days, the people at the orphanage was left to fight for themselves. One by one kid died. I let out a low growl as my mind flashed back to how our "caretakers" left us alone. I let out a slight sigh of relief, no walkers on site. I sat down plain tuckered out.I had tried so hard for them for weeks to save the kids. They just were too stupid. When they started dying off I gave up and ran. No government now to take my daddy away from me if only I could find him. I pulled out the teddy Daddy had given me for my 13 birthday. He said To all ways be strong no matter what your Dixon. I missed him so much. I just want to be with him again. I could be if Merle wasn't so stupid. I hated Uncle because of what he did. It was his fault I wasn't with daddy when this happened. I reached for the crossbow that I had found back at the house. Another gift that I hadn't even got to open when I was taken away. I checked how many arrows I had left counting each of them about ten left, good.

 I pulled out a handgun, that I had found awhile back looking it over. Daddy had never taught me how to use them only the bow. I thought if it came to it I would need to use it. I plopped backward on my back looking up at the pale blue sky. I sighed all I wanted to do was sleep but that would be a bad idea. Even if I hadn't sleep in five days. I hadn't eaten in maybe five. My heart started racing as I heard an eater groan. That horrible sound I had came so familiarly with. I shot up as it fell on the roof from another. I quickly packed my stuff. Here I go again. Why can't I just stop running a thought I had thought since I left. I got up and ran to a roof lower than mine. I jumped tumbling a bit before back on my feet. My grey backpack with my weapons and teddy jingled behind me. I had to chuckle this reminded me of all the old times I tried running home. I kept running jumping from building to building. The old times filled my mind. The roof turned to the open grass meadows leading back to daddy. Suddenly the yelling distracted my thoughts sending me straight into the ground knocking me out. I groaned as I slowly starting to wake up. The hot sun beaming into my eyes. I heard gunshots and a man yelling. I sit up straining to look across at a high building. There were some people on top of it real people. I moved as close as I could to the edge and listened. 

 "Hey down there you alive?" A man yelled. My heart dropped they seen me God please be nice. I could use a rest. "Yeah, I am," I said trying to stand up only to send a bad pain up my leg. I winched falling back to the ground. "I'm hurt." My voice was soft and scratched from lack of water. I didn't know if he could even hear. I sit down and rubbed my leg to find the problem. I came to my ankle and squeaked. Shit, it is probably broken. 

 "Stay there we will find a way to you." The man called to me. I saw the people vanished from my sight. Yet again alone. I scanned around and flopped back. Not too bad. I pulled the bag next to me going through the contents. I got some bandages somewhere. I know I do. There they are. I flopped back onto the warm roof. hmmm cozy. I hope I just twisted it. Least I am all alone nothing around just me and the clear sky. I at least I could rest for a bit. I hope those guys don't kill me or worse. I just laid there looking up now not the time for that should have thought about that before talking. The sky was just beautiful. The only thing that gives me hope to live. Other than finding daddy was the beauty the world was without people interfering. I soon dozed off just to be woken up abruptly by a car horn blaring. The building wasn't too high up but it was four stories. I pulled myself to the edge to look over. I saw a box truck pull up. A guy climbed on top of the truck. I stared puzzled are they crazy. He cupped his hands and called out, "Hey I'm Sheriff Rick you got to trust me and jump." Now I knew he was crazy.