Chapter 1 - A Bad Start

15th October, 2018

11:00am - Kaduna State

Shazia was so lost in thoughts she wasn't concentrating on where she was going. Different thoughts ran through her mind as she remembered what her parents discussed with her earlier on. She looked through the rear-view mirror and saw two 2019 Toyota LandCruiser Prados maintaining a safe distance from her - the cars were not trailing her, and even if they were, they knew how to play their game. She let out a sigh, the cars were the least of her problems. She was brought back to reality by the loud sound of her car bumping into another car.

'SubhanAllah (All praise be to God)' she mumbled as she stepped out of her car in her simple grey Abaya. Two men in their early 30s stepped out of the other car assessing the damage she caused.

'I am sorry, it wasn't on purpose. Please forgive… '. Shazia tried to explain but was shut up by the sound of a slap on her right cheek. It was the man that came out of the driver's seat, obviously the owner of the car. She placed her right hand on the cheek while raising her left hand to indicate 'stop'. 

A look of disgust came over his face as he said to himself 'Such guts!! She bumped into my car and still has the nerves to raise her hand at me?'. 

'I'll get it repaired, I promise'. She whispered, but loud enough for him to hear.

'Repair?' He scoffed. He glanced at the car she was driving and felt she was definitely out of her senses. 'Pathetic!' He turned and slowly walked towards the door of his car. 

'Naeem!! Naeem!!' The other man who stood dumbfounded called, but 'Naeem' simply stepped into their car. 'I am really sorry, I don't know what got into him'. He apologised to Shazia on his friend's behalf. 

'It's okay'. She said, managing to smile with eyes brimming with tears. He bid her farewell and joined his friend in the car. Naeem who was impatiently waiting for his friend to step into the car immediately revved up the engine and drove off leaving a sad Shazia standing on the busy road of Isa Kaita.

Shazia stood still for about a minute or two ignoring the small crowd that had gathered just some paces away from her who were murmuring stuff amongst themselves. 

'You should have slapped that idiot back'. A lady from the crowd screamed. 

'Is that not Alhaji El-Muneer's daughter?' a guy asked. 

'How can it be? She looks really different. And in that car?! Where are her escorts? She's definitely not the one'. Another mumbled. 

'Even if it isn't her, the poor girl didn't deserve that slap, she obviously didn't hit his car on purpose'. Someone added. 

The small crowd had turned to a larger one as more passers-by wanted to know what was happening. People kept passing their comments not noticing two black Toyota LandCruiser Prados parking close to her car. Four men in black - two from each - stepped out and walked up to Shazia. 

'Are you okay Miss?'. One of the men asked. 

'It was nothing'. She replied calmly. 

'Why did you stop us? I wanted to step out and teach that guy a lesson he'll remember for the rest of his life but you just had to raise your hand'. Another man, Faruk, who was really angry complained.

'Let's go home. Ibrahim, please drive my car'. Was all she said, giving her car key to the first man that spoke. 

'Yes miss'. The men chorused, clearing the way for her as they made their way through the crowd. The three cars sped off in a convoy as soon as they got into them and that was when the people saw the plate numbers of the two Prados. The cars had 'E-M S1' and 'E-M S2' boldly written on them and those that were aware gasped.