Chapter 4 - The Flashback

El-Muneer Mansion - 18th October, 2018

It's been 3 days since the incident and Shazia has been indoors. She has been having the same nightmare she had the day Naeem slapped her and it has taken a toll on her - she hardly sleeps well.

Immediately after her 'Asr prayer' (The Afternoon prayer), she felt she needed fresh air and the first thought that came to her mind was sitting in the garden. She changed into a very light gown, picked up a veil and a book from her study and went to the ground floor using the home elevator. She greeted her parents in the living room and also informed them that she would be in the garden in case they needed her.

The elegantly lush garden is on the left of the mansion. It has a big and beautifully designed Rotunda gazebo made of marbles in the middle, a pond on the far right end, a stylish three seater garden swing, well arranged and grown trees bearing sweet fruits and so many beautiful flowers. It is a sight to behold!

Just as Shazia stepped out of the mansion, from where she stood, she noticed 3 Toyota Landcruiser Prados parked at her customized parking space and she could see the plate number 'E-M S3' on the 3rd.

'Yaya!' She laughed, shaking her head. She didn't need anyone to inform her that her brother disposed of her Crosstour. 'It is for the best'. She assured herself as she sauntered slowly towards the garden.

Shazia sat on the garden swing and immediately got busy reading the book. She was so engrossed in her favourite book 'Don't be sad, by Aaidh Ibn Abdullah al-Qarnee' that she didn't notice someone sit beside her.

'Assalamu alaikum (Peace be upon you)'. She greeted again, this time louder.

'Wa alaikumussalam Laura'. Shazia replied with a smile, her head still buried in the book. 'I missed you'.

'No wonder you didn't hear me'. Laura smiled as she read the name of the book. It has been Shazia's favourite book for months now! She took the book from Shazia and placed  it on the Garden stool beside her. 'How have you been? I called before coming but there was no response. Abby and Ummy told me you were here'.

'Sorry, I left the phone in my room. I've been doing well, alhamdu lilLah (Praise be to God). And you?'.

'Just the usual morning sickness'. She's 2 months pregnant.

They gisted for a while before Laura suddenly exclaimed 'Do you remember the first day we met?!'

Shazia chuckled. 'How could I ever forget that? It was one of the best days of my life'.

'Good times! Good times!! I miss those days when we lived a stress free life'. Laura sighed.

July, 2003
El-Muneer 'House'

Shazia was 5 years old when an elderly woman and a young girl about her age were brought to their house.

'Alhaji this is the lady I was telling you about, Mariya. The widow that will be helping with the household chores'. Shazia heard Hajiya Naima inform her father. Mariya who was sitting on the far end of the soft centre rug greeted him. 'And this is her daughter, Laura'. Hajiya Naima added, pointing to the little girl who clung to her mother.

Laura's father died when she was just 3 years old and her mother struggled so much for 2 years to take care of Laura and her 2 elder brothers, Nazif and Muhammad. She tried her best to ensure they had both Western and Islamic education. And when she could no longer make ends meet, she sought help from a woman who introduced her to Hajiya Naima. She left the boys with her mother in their village (Bodinga, which is a Local government area in Sokoto State) and brought Laura along.