Chapter 16 - Mrs. N

Zayyan Residence - 17th November, 2018

''Slow down please! Eating in a rush like that will upset your stomach'. Hajiya Saudah warned Naeem who was devouring his breakfast. 'Why are you even in a rush this early? And on a Saturday? She inquired.

'Aadeel is on his way to pick me up so we could continue our search for the lady. Perhaps we might see her or her car before the day ends'. Naeem explained, his mouth full of food which is actually something very strange.

'Oh my God Naeem! What is wrong with you this morning? Do you want to choke? First you were rushing your meal, and then now you are talking with your mouth full? Unbelievable!' Hajiya Saudah was totally flabbergasted.

'I'm sorry Umma'. He mouthed. He gulped the last of his milk and stood to leave. 'I'll see you both at dinner In Shaa Allah'.

'What do you mean dinner? Won't you come home early? At least come back and rest'. She called out but Naeem was long gone.

'Let it be'. Alhaji Zayyan who was also on the dining table all the while, advised.

'But Alhaji, he has been searching for more than a month alre...' She began.

'What do you think?' He interrupted her before she could complete her sentence.

'He's being too hard on himself. It was a mistake and he has learnt his lesson'.

'You don't get it, do you? Don't you understand your son is in love? This isn't about the slap anymore, he's looking for her because he loves her'. He explained. And it was then it occurred to Hajiya Saudah that Naeem had actually developed feelings for the mysterious lady and that was the reason he was going an extra mile to find her.

'This is good news, I might actually have a daughter in-law soon'. She was excited. 'But wait! He slapped her! What if she rejects him?' She bit her nails, worrying about her son.

'Now who is being hard on herself? The deed has been done, we can't change the past. We can only pray to Allah to choose the best for them both'. Alhaji Zayyan reminded her and she nodded in agreement.

'I pray things work out for the best'.

'Aamiin'.

Fatima and Khadija who overheard everything on their way to the dining section feigned ignorance.

'Assalamu alaikum. Good morning Umma, Good morning Abba'. They chorused.

'Wa alaikumussalam. How are my princesses?' Alhaji Zayyan inquired.

'We are both fine, alhamdu lilLah'. Fatima answered.

'And where are you off to this morning?' Hajiya Saudah asked.

'Oh Umma, have you forgotten already? We are starting our final exams next week and I told you we'll be having our final tutorials today?' Fatima reminded her.

'That's true, you did inform me. Blame it on old age!' Fatima giggled. 'And you Khadija?'

'Sorry Umma, I was just about to inform you. My friend Laila called late last night and pleaded with me to accompany her to the market to get her wedding ashoebi, our friends have been pressuring her. You remember her right?

'How can I forget Laila? You've been friends for as long as I can remember. Didn't you say her wedding is next month?'. Khadija nodded in the affirmative. 'Then you better get that ashoebi out this week, you know how tailors disappoint. May Allah SWT keep you both safe'.

'Aamiin'

******

Immediately Aadeel arrived, the duo set out for their search in his car. Aadeel took the route to Isa Kaita Road and Naeem's facial expression instantly changed. He has been avoiding that road since the incident. Aadeel could hear Naeem's heart pounding.