Chapter 22 - Life

Khaleed's Residence - 25th May, 2019.

The three friends were all seated watching the news when Khaleed's younger brother, Aryan came in. Pleasantries were exchanged and he found a spot to sit, with a gloomy face.

'What's wrong with you? Why do you look like you just saw a ghost?' Khaleed asked.

'Worse than a ghost!' Aryan spat.

'Why? What happened?' Khaleed tried so hard not to laugh.

'You know Hajiya's friend, Hajiya Dijah? Well, Hajiya sent me to meet her daughter, Ummu Khulsum. Ohh! Boy was it a horrible sight to behold!! Girl came out dressed like a mad woman with her face like a witch's! Imagine meeting your potential husband for the first time and dressing like a harlot! And for crying out loud, if she can't apply makeup, must she? When I came back, I told Hajiya I wasn't interested and she was pissed off'. He sighed.

'Welcome to the club!' Khaleed teased and everyone laughed. 'You are angry because this is the first time that's happening to you, but don't worry, you'll get used to Hajiya matchmaking you with her friends' daughters very soon'.

'Used to what? Oh please, I am not interested. In fact, I am going back to Amsterdam in two days' time to be back when I find someone to settle with. I can't be living a miserable life here'. Aryan picked out his phone and left.

'I never thought Aryan was more stubborn than you are. I mean seriously Khaleed, I have never met anyone as stubborn as you'. Aadeel laughed.

'I think it's in the blood!' Khaleed chuckled. 'I know Hajiya! She'll force him back very soon'.

'I hope he gets someone to settle with before she does. It's not nice having issues with one's parents'. Aadeel declared.

'You are really lucky Hajiya isn't your mother. At times, it's just inevitable no matter how hard we try'.

'May Allah SWT grant us the ability to serve our parents well'.

'Aamiin'.

Naeem was just pressing his phone absentmindedly.

'Naeem!! Naeem!!' Khaleed called again, tapping him on his shoulder.

'Yeah'.

'What's on your mind? You've been quiet for too long!'.

'What else apart from the fact that I am in love with a ghost!'. Khaleed and Aadeel burst into laughter. 'I am serious, it's like she just vanished into thin air'.

'We will find her some day In Shaa Allah, I promise'. Aadeel assured him.

'For my sake, I hope we do. I am losing a part of myself every passing day!'.

'Keep praying and hoping for the best'. Khaleed advised.

'Thank you, I'll keep my fingers crossed that we are finding her soon'.

The trio talked for a while before Aadeel dropped Naeem home.

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Shazia's Apartment - 28th May, 2019.

Shazia got home exhausted from the day's activities and she flung her bag on her bed. She lazily showered, made coffee and sat on a sofa surfing the net. A particular story caught her attention and she immediately burst out crying before she could stop herself.

July 2018.

Hajiya Naima's 3 brothers, their families and other relatives were in Nigeria for the wedding except Aunt Zahra, Ali and Anisa who stayed back in Cairo.