Chapter 2 - The Promise

'Can you believe it Amir? A guy slapped me because I bumped into his car. He actually slapped me Amir'. She laughed hysterically.

'Who slapped you?' Laura queried, walking into the room.

'Oh, hello Laura. Sorry I didn't see you there. How are you?'

'Who slapped you?'. Laura asked again, knowing Shazia was trying to change the topic.

'It was nothing serious'. She assured her.

'A guy slapped you and you think it's nothing serious? What happened? Why did he slap you? Did you retaliate? Where were Faruk and the rest?' She threw the questions at her.

'Do you need water to catch your breath?' Shazia laughed.

'Please be serious, I am really angry. How can a guy slap you? Just how?'.

Knowing her best friend will never let the issue slide, Shazia narrated the incident to her. 'At least now I know how it feels to get slapped since no one has ever slapped me'. She concluded, laughing.

'I'll slap this guy when I see him. He slapped you because of a car? How dare he?'. Laura fumed.

'Maybe I deserved it since I was the one who bumped into his car, not vice versa'. Shazia shrugged. 'It is bygone. As it is, I have more pressing issues'.

'Cairo?' Shazia nodded. 'Ummy informed me you'll be leaving for Egypt next week for your Master's Degree'. Laura continued. 'Why didn't you inform me earlier? Perhaps I would have made arrangements too'.

'Everything happened so fast, in fact I was just informed this morning. Besides you can't put your life on hold for me, I appreciate all you have been doing and I can never repay your kindness'.

'A change of environment will be good for you, for your mental health. You know they are doing what they think is best for you, right? Shazia nodded. 'Then why are you not happy about it?'. Laura paused.

'I know they are only doing it for me but Laura I've never been away from home, from them'. Shazia wiped her tears.

'C'mon baby, you'll be fine'. She mimicked, sending Shazia into fits of laughter, laced with different emotions.

Laura kept her company and they talked for a long time about everything and nothing. Though Laura did most of the talking, Shazia still appreciated the efforts to put a smile on her face.

Hajiya Naima ordered the house attendants to take lunch to Shazia's room knowing fully well since Shazia needed space, she was not coming downstairs anytime soon. 'Laura is with her, there is nothing to worry about'. She said to herself.

Shazia and Laura prayed their Zuhur prayer, had lunch and Laura left when she felt Shazia was in a better mood.

Shazia stayed in her section doing nothing in particular. She tried hard not to think as she contemplated what to do to distract her from the never ending thoughts running in her head.

'My Qur'an'. She smiled, picking it up to read. It has been her companion for months and she finds solace in it. 'Definitely Suratul Rahman, his favourite'. She added, flipping through the pages.

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

At the Dining Table - 7:30pm

There was total silence as Shazia and her parents ate dinner at the 6 seater formal dining table. The parents exchanged quick glances and Alhaji El-Muneer knew it was time to break the silence. He cleared his throat and Shazia looked up, waiting to hear from her father.