Chapter 3 - The News

Naeem's Apartment - 8:30pm

15th October, 2018

Fatima walked into Naeem's parlour saying the salaam. Naeem was lying on a couch, lost in thoughts.

Naeem's apartment is in his father's compound. It's a 2 storey building designed by Naeem himself. One look at the interior and you'll understand it was designed by a first class architect!

'Good evening Yaya'. She greeted, placing a tray on the table in front of him. That was what drew his attention to her.

'Where are your manners, Fatima? Can't you ask for permission before coming in?'. He asked, frowning.

'But Yaya I did. Maybe...'. She tried explaining.

'Please I am not in the mood. Just leave. Now!' He yelled.

'I am sorry, you didn't come for dinner and Umma said I should check up on you so I thought you might be hungry and I brought you food'. She explained, her eyes welling up with tears. He only nodded.

'Goodnight Yaya'. She said, walking away.

'Fatima'. He called. She turned to face him. 'I am sorry'. He apologised. She smiled and left. She was already used to his attitude. 'But since when did Yaya start apologising?'. She wondered.

He hadn't been himself all day. Something was definitely messing with his mind and he couldn't point a finger at it. He shrugged, opening the food warmers Fatima kept. There was Shepherd's pie, spaghetti bolognese, chicken pepper soup and fruit juice in a jug, all his favourites but he didn't have an appetite so he only took the juice. He turned his dinner into storage containers and kept them in the refrigerator.

Naeem got ready for bed. 'My phone has been off all day, let me turn it on before sleeping'. He thought. The first message he read was Aadeel's.

'Hey man, I've been trying to reach you all day. Hope you are okay. See you tomorrow'.

Naeem kept back his phone without replying to any of his messages, he really wasn't in the mood!

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Shazia's Section - 9:00pm

Her section consists of a parlor, two massive rooms, a prayer spot, a beauty parlor, a kitchenette and her study/library. Each room has a walk-in closet with a dressing room and an in-ground hot tub. One room is all white and the other room is white and black.

Shazia had her night bath, performed ablution and prayed a nafl (optional) Sallah at her prayer spot. She talked to Allah SWT for a long time, crying and pleading with Him to ease her pains and grant her what was best for her. She felt happier as she stood up to fold her praying set. It was as though a light burden was taken off her chest. She finally went into her white room, changed into her Pyjamas and laid herself on her bed.

Shazia shut her eyes to sleep, trying so hard not to relive the events of the day.

Earlier that day - At Breakfast

'Shazia, there is something really important we want to discuss with you'. Alhaji El-Muneer declared, as soon as they were done eating.

'Okay Abby'. She felt uneasy.

'You've gotten admission into The American University in Cairo (AUC) for your Master of Science in Architecture (Msc) Degree'.

'Cairo?'. She asked, tears streaming down her face.

'Yes baby, Cairo'.

'But Abby, I don't want to go there. Please don't make this decision for me'. She pleaded, amid sobs.