Chapter 19 - Mine pt. 1 ✓

y'all ain't ready for this one 😮‍💨

My pacing ceased as I gazed over at the beach through the glass door. I had been walking around the lobby for a bit before I decided to wander off elsewhere. The front desk receptionists kept staring at me curiously making me uncomfortable.

I probably look like a fiend with the way I've been pacing.

I chuckled to myself out loud then released a subtle smile. The tip of my ears became cherry red when I realized even though I wasn't in their eyesight, I proved their theory correct. I cleared my throat awkwardly grabbed the door handle and stepped outside to the pool area.

The swimming pool was beautiful with a small waterfall surrounding the deeper end of the water. As I walked on further I reached the steps the steps that lead down to the beach. The chlorine smell was replaced with warm salty air and I basked in it.

I whipped in a deep breath my lungs expanding widely. I released a tiny smile as I took off my slippers and dug my feet into the lukewarm sand. There were a few other people on the beach mostly families and couples. I didn't want to be near anyone but I also didn't want to wander off too far alone. So I picked a spot somewhat close to this family that was looking for crabs.

I watched for a moment as the two little girls who couldn't be older than 6 yell out excitedly as their father caught one of the small sea crabs in a bucket. He showed it to them with a hearty laugh as they screamed and held onto each other. Yet, getting closer despite their fear. Their mother took a video of them on her phone with a fond smile and my chest warmed at the sight.

A perfect family so happy. Spending time together and enjoying the small moments. That's what it was all about. I wanted that, I think I wanted it with one particular person. I saw a future with Dante, a good one. He made me feel heard and appreciated and helped me build some of my self esteem back up when I never thought I could. He had strong feelings for me as I do for him. I don't think anything could keep us apart, not even this.

I know it was wrong for him to not tell me everything was going on but he was trying to protect my feelings. He didn't want me to stress even more about him when I was already stressed about all the other significant people in my life. It's so fucking disappointing though knowing he won't ever be able to get out of that lifestyle but I will protect him like he always protected me. If those motherfuckers ever hurt him I will kill every single last one. I don't care if I don't know how to shoot a gun, I'll learn that day.

I drew my knees up to my chest and rested my crossed arms on top of them. I watched peacefully the sharp waves crashing onto the shore. Light playful screams still could be heard in the background and the natural tune of the ocean.

Maybe I shouldn't have just left like that...

I couldn't help but think I ran away from the situation. Every time I felt even a bit of fear or frustration I closed myself off. It may be a habit from all the bullshit I've been through but still, it wasn't an excuse. I sighed my heart heavy with shame knowing I left Dante in the hotel room not knowing where I was going or what my next move was. I know he's worried sick about me right now but he didn't want to overwhelm me. I appreciate him for that and how patient he's been.

From the corner of my eyes, I could see a tall male approaching me. I tried to act like I didn't notice him so that he could keep walking but instead, the man plopped himself down a few feet away from me. I blinked but kept my eyes forward, I came here to unplug my mind, and that's what I will continue to do. That left me with ignoring the man who sighed out loud almost as if he was getting tired of sitting beside me.

"I have never seen someone so blatantly try to ignore me." I felt myself flinch when he laughed so deeply.

I peered over at the guy and he had a small smirk on his lips. His dark hair was cut into a buzzcut, and he was heavily tanned with strong cheekbones. He couldn't be any older than thirty. As I stared closer I noticed he had a scar about an inch long on his bottom lip as if someone might've cut him. A small breathy chuckle escaped his lips as he rubbed his bottom lip with his thumb.