Chapter 8 - Jokes

"So he or she robbed us for no reason. They stole $40 altogether and two fake watches. A fucking joke." Lorenzo laughed sarcastically as he waved his hands up into the air.

It was the same night after Dante and I kiss and I didn't end up staying at his house. Once everyone came home they called for me immediately. Before they all arrived I told them I was safe and it was no rush to come home. They even talked to Dante to make sure. They were always worried about my safety which I did appreciate.

Whoever broke into our house wasn't an expert. I was in the bed knocked the fuck out. That would have been a perfect opportunity for the intruder to slit my throat or some crazy shit. Or at least knocked me out. Then they stole Daniel's old watches he brought with us throughout our time in the foster system. The $40 was Sandra's that was sitting on her dresser. The dumbass didn't even bother to check the closets where almost every one of us kept our money jars.

Lorenzo was honest. A fucking joke.

We all stood in the kitchen. Lorenzo was standing next to the white fridge that he stood tall over. Daniel was sitting down next to the kitchen table. Sandra was standing next to the sink with her arms crossed. I stood next to Daniel with one of my hands on the table.

"That's another thing I have to pay now. The door is busted and Lorenzo's window is broken. I don't think I can afford it with all the new bills coming in." Sandra sighed and looked down at the floor.

Lorenzo looked at her with guilt and shook his head. Before putting his hand on Sandra's shoulder. She looked up at him confused before Lorenzo gave her a warm smile.

"We got this covered don't worry about it." He grinned looking at all of us expectedly.

"Yes, we got this." Daniel and I both said at the same time with smiles.

"Are you sure guys? I can just get another job to help cover the bills it's no-" Sandra started but Lorenzo cut her off.

"Sandra don't worry. We live here too and we are old enough to start helping. You should just go rest you've been working all day. We can cook dinner." Lorenzo started to open the fridge and started grabbing stuff. Then he looked behind him to give her another smile. Making her crack and she sighed out loud.

"Thank you, guys. You're the best kids I could have ever asked for" She gave a soft smile then hugged Lorenzo then kissed Daniel on the head. Then pinching my cheeks before she headed to her room.

"Y'all better start pulling out pots I'm not doing this alone," Lorenzo said pulling out the ingredients.

"What are we making?" I asked walking towards the stove.

"Cajun Chicken Alfredo" he mumbled and took everything out then closed the fridge.

"Couldn't we have made something easier like tacos?" Daniel groaned going to the cabinet full of seasonings. He pulled out pepper, paprika, Cajun seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, and oregano. He picked all of them up to bring them to the table where the chicken breast lay.

"Start cleaning the chicken and put oil on it so the seasonings stick" Lorenzo commanded to Daniel who nodded.

"You're not off the hook. Start boiling the water for the pasta" he pointed and I rolled my eyes. He could be so bossy. But, that was Lorenzo for you. He was almost like a father to both Daniel and me. Which I didn't mind. It made me feel almost protected in a way. Like, I have someone there to lean on.

He's always been there for us. Even though he can get on my nerves and make me want to slap him silly. I still loved him. He was my big brother and nothing can change that. Daniel may not talk as much as both of us but he has a lot more to offer than anything. He can be shy and tends to stay in his little shell. Though, He's a sweet and gentle person.