004.

[1983]
004. the rubik cube

"If we're watching movies, we are not watching Star Wars." Annabelle spoke to Liam who was at her side. "Then we're not watching Meet me in St .Louis." She groaned in annoyance back to him.

"Belle!"

Annabelle's head wiped around to see Steve calling her over. The blonde turned back to her friend beside her. "..I'll, uh... meet you in class." She smiled at him before walking over to the boy.

"Yes, Harrington."

"Party my place, Tuesday. Are you coming?"

"Depends, can I have my Rubik cube back from when we were twelve?" She raised a brow to him and he rolled his eyes playfully back at her.

"I don't know what you mean, Annabelle." He smirked. "Then nope." She went to walk away, but Steve grabbed her wrist, pulling her back to him. "Fine. You can have it back."

He wasn't about to admit that it was something he kept close to him at home. When things got tough he twisted the cube around, thinking back to when Annabelle used to stay round and contently be solving the cube and shoving it in his face that she won.

"Then yes, I'd be happy to go." She smiled to him, about to walk off when she stopped, turning back to face the Harrington boy. "Can Liam come? We were supposed to hang out that day and you know.. you'll have your friends I won't be able to stay by you the whole night..."

"Yeah." He cut her off from rambling, something she did when nervous or didn't know what to do. "Eight pm. You know where I live." He said, stepping back down the hall.

"Is that a threat to me or you?" Annabelle said with a smirk as she called out to the boy away from her. In return he just laughed, sending her a wink back.

Not long after that encounter, she stopped when her eyes spotted Jonathan by the cork board, not doubt putting up missing flyer posters that he had mentioned last night to her.

"J." She called, making the boy look behind his shoulder to who the voice belonged to, a small smile on his face when he saw it was Annabelle.

"Hi, Annabelle." He said once she was by her side, turning back to finish putting up the flyer.

"My mom said she spoke with Joyce about the flyers. She's putting some up at the hospital. I can take some too if you would like, threaten people into giving them around?" She said with a small chuckle.

"I don't think your scary enough for that," The Byers boy let a sad smile fall onto his lips. "but thank you." A few missing papers were handed to the girl.

"I can always try, J." Her smile faded as she followed his eyesight to the group watching them; Nancy, Barb, Tommy H and Carol. Of course, King Steve. Annie looked down, biting her lip before turning back to the boy in front of her.

"I know it sucks." Her hand went to his arm in comfort. "But It'll be oaky." Smiling one last time to him, she turned back to walk down the hall, sending a small smile to Nancy who passed her.

As the blonde gazed down to her books, she scribbled a note and tearing it out. Once she arrived beside the Harrington boy, she shoved the note in his hands, walking away quickly so she didn't have to deal with Carol or Tommy.

Steve furrowed his eyebrows, looking one last time to Nancy before turning away to read the note. 'Leave him alone, Harrington. Don't think I won't tell everyone about a certain secret... Farah. Thanks for the cube back'. A sigh left his lips, shoving the letter in his pocket and turning back around just as the bell to class rang. He knew she wouldn't hurt anyone in any way, but no telling what she would do if someone hurt her friends.

It was now after school and Annabelle was sat in her room, reading her book while Liam was studying for an upcoming test. The boy put down his pen, turning to face the blonde before he began to rant.

"I don't know why you're hanging out with him, Annie. He's a grade one asshole who already hurt you once." Liam sighed, sitting on the chair by her desk.

"He's not an asshole, Lee." Annabelle looked up to him, putting her book down. "Yeah he's a douche sometimes, but he's nice and he's my friend."

"And I've always been your best friend, Annie. I'm just looking out for you."

"I know you are, Liam and you will always be my best friend. Always."

There was a Knock at the door and the two teens turned to the woman standing at the door. "I just wanted to see if you were you were staying for dinner or is nick going to pick you up?" She asked Liam while resting her hands on hers daughters shoulder, kissing the top of her head.

"He should be here soon, Mrs Lewis, but thank you." Liam smiled to her, as she returned the same one. "No problem, Lewis." Mary patted Annie's shoulder before walking back to the door.

"I'll be working tomorrow, Annie. Would you mind asking one of your friends to drop you off home?" Annabelle smiled back to her mother, nodding her head. "Sure. Love you. bye."

"Bye, Annabelle and ill say my good byes now, Liam." Mary left the two alone, hearing Liam shout out his goodbyes.

Annabelle turned to her friend with puppy dog eyes. Liam sighed. "Yeah I can get Nicky to drop you off." A wide smile lite up her face. "Thank you, Thank you, Thank you." She jumped up from her bed, quickly wrapping her arms around Liam, hugging him.