030.

[1984]
030. Farrah Fawcett spray

Steve, Dustin and Annabelle all spent the night at Annie's after Claudia called to say that she wouldn't be back till late, so could Annie babysit Dustin. In the time at her house, Dustin had came up with a plan over the walkie with Lucas.

The next morning, after a drive for raw meat that was then divided into three buckets, the trio was now walking down an empty train track with yellow gloves covering there hands as they threw the meat to the ground.  Annabelle and Steve had barley talked since the evening before, only when to discuses the plan or a 'morning' and 'thank you'.

Annabelle was ahead of the two, throwing the meat randomly to the floor. She had Steve's sunglasses on her head, that she stole from his car, to push back her hair from her face. Steve carried his bat in the rucksack on his back while Annabelle had her gun tucked in the waistband of her jeans.

"All right, so let me get this straight." Steve spoke up, trailing behind the other two. "You kept something you knew was probably dangerous in order to impress a girl who... who you just met?"

"All right, that's grossly oversimplifying things." Dustin sighed as Annabelle glanced back to the boy.

"I mean, why would a girl like some nasty slug anyway?" Steve shook his head, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion to the young boy.

"An interdimensional slug? Because it's awesome."

"Dustin, nobody wants a possible tiny Demogorgon." Annabelle spoke, turning to face Dustin. "But Dart's nice." Dustin argued and Annabelle sighed, shaking her head at the young boy before carrying on walking forward.

"Well, even if she thought it was cool, which she didn't, I...I just... I don't know. I just feel like you're trying way too hard." Steve added.

"Well, not everyone can have your perfect hair, all right?" Steve was now beside the young boy. Annie let out a breath, closing her eyes for a second to try and shake off the bad feeling of this whole thing.

"It's not about the hair, man. The key with girls is just... just acting like you don't care. Steve realised that when he showed that he liked Nancy or Annabelle, the two rejected him. He showed he loved them and it didn't work. Maybe to show a girl you do like her is to ignore her. Annabelle scoffed at the older boy. Of course Steve would say something like that.

"Even if you do?"

"Yeah, exactly. It drives them nuts."

"Annabelle, what do you think?" Dustin asked the blonde. "I think, if you like her, show her you care. She'll just think that you don't like her if you ignore her. If, uh, someone ignored me, I'd take it personally and then it would just ruin your friendship with her."

"..Oh."

"But if she likes you, she'll make the effort to try. The girl would come back to you. She wouldn't run." Steve added,  glancing to Annabelle who looked over her shoulder, the two locking eyes for a second before she looked away.  "If you like her as much as she likes you, then you have nothing to worry about. Then you just wait until, uh... until you feel it."

"Feel what?"

"It's like before it's gonna storm, you know?" Annabelle furrowed her eyebrows at Steve's metaphor. "You can't see it but you can feel it, like this, uh... electricity, you know?"

"Oh, like in the electromagnetic field when the clouds in the atmosphere-" Dustin lectured, making the Lewis girl smile.

"No, no, no, no, no. Like a... Like a sexual electricity." Steve cut off Dustin's ramble. "Ew, gross. Don't say that in front of a thirteen year old." Annie furrowed her eyebrows, glancing back to Steve.

"Oh, so you weren't the one to tell me about your make out session with Mark Lewinsky the summer you turned thirteen?" Steve shot back. "No, because he kissed me. One kiss. Not making out, Steve."

"So that's when you kiss her?" Dustin got back to the topic. Steve stopped in his tracks, turning to the boy while Annie continued to walk ahead.

"No, whoa, whoa. Slow down, Romeo."

"Sorry."

The duo began to walk again while Harrington continued his speech. "Sure, okay, some girls, yeah, they want you to be aggressive. You know, strong, hot and heavy, like a... I don't know, like a lion."

"Mmm." Dustin hummed back, showing he was listening, like he's taking mental notes of this conversation with the King Steve.

"But others, you gotta be slow, you gotta be stealthy, like a..." Annabelle had stopped walking to pull her headphones from her neck back over her ears before then picking up the bucket to hurry ahead again. She really was getting sick of this awful lecture on dating a woman that Steve was giving. "like a ninja."

"What type is Nancy?" Dustin randomly asked. "She's um..." Steve stumbled on his words, his gaze over at the blonde ahead of them.

"Not Annabelle?" The younger boy had saw Steve's eyes on the blonde. Dustin grinned widely up at the Harrington boy. It was painfully obvious to everyone that Steve like Annie, just from the look in his eye.

"What! No." Steve shook his head, changing the topic back to Nance. "Nancy... Nancy's different."

"Yeah, not Annabelle." Dustin snorted before setting his gaze on the Lewis girl ahead. "But what's she?"

"Annie's... Annie. She's different. Someone better then anyone I've ever met. Different then any of the other girls. Annie's special. She just... she perfect." Steve looked down as Dustin grinned to himself,

"But this girl's special, too, you know. It's just, like, something about her."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hey, hey, hey."

"What?"

Annabelle was near then end of the metal bucket and sighed, turning back on her heel to head back to the boys. She noticed them still talking and pulled down her headphones again so she could hear.

"You're not falling in love with this girl, are you?"

"Uh, no. No." Henderson hesitated.

"Okay, good. Don't."

"I won't."

"She's only gonna break you heart, and you're way to young for that shit." As Steve looked back up to walk, he froze as Annabelle was a foot in front of him. Annie's lips were parted as she stumbled on her words. "Um... I... I, uh, ran out." His eyes quickly averted from her.

"Oh..." Steve panicked, not knowing what to do or say. The girl quickly looked over to Dustin who was watching them with a sad look, like he just saw someone kick a puppy. With a deep breath, she realised that Steve was already mad at her, but this would at least make Dustin feel better.

"He uses Faberge."

Steve's head shot up, looking at Annie but she was focused on the boy who glanced to her. " What?" Dustin furrowed his brows. The blonde glanced to Steve and smiled lightly to him before turning back to walk away.

"Um, yeah. It's Faberge Organics." Steve pointed to his hair. "Use the shampoo and conditioner, and when you hair's damp... It's not wet, okay? When it's damp.."

"Damp." Dustin repeated and Annie had a small smile tug at her lips.

"You use four puffs of the Farrah Fawcett spray."

"Farrah Fawcett spray?" Dustin held in his chuckle. "Yeah, Farrah Fawcett spray." Steve sighed. "And if you tell anyone I just told you that and your ass is grass. You're dead, Henderson. Do you understand?"

"Yup. . . But Annie did just tell me."

"Well... Just don't tell anyone." Steve scoffed and started to pick up the pace.

"How does Annie even know this?" Dustin queried with a grin, caching up to the older boy's side. "When we were kids, we slept over at each others houses a lot. One time I used the shower and had to use her shampoo. She then forced me to let her do my hair with the spray. I couldn't say no and then, then I started using it more after she brought it for me as a joke on my birthday."

Dustin chuckled. "Sounds like her." The two were silent for a moment before Dustin laughed again. "Farrah Fawcett?"