043.

[17 November 1984]
043. birthday girl

Annabelle hated her birthday. It was a constant reminder of loss. In the beginning it didn't matter because she had her twin. Edwin would always be there. But then, she walked out her room barely moments after the clock struck midnight and she was officially seven. What she didn't prepare her was hearing her mothers cries as the police officers informed her of her sons death. Edwin's death.

Every year she closed herself off from people on the same day. After moving to Hawkins, that continued. One day she was fine, the next not there and then the next, acted as nothing happened. After befriending Jonathan and Steve, they too soon noticed.

Steve, on the third year of being friends, had snuck through her window to see her and found her curled up to herself, sobbing. That's when Steve found everything out and every year, he'd come round at exactly midnight and be there for when she cried. He tried to distract her each time and slowly it got better with Steve around.

This year, as they were finally dating, he wanted to make sure she was happy this year. She needed a nice day. So, when Steve brought Annabelle home, Dustin was sat on the floor of her home by the couches, DnD set up.

"So, I know you kind of know how to play, but Dustin taught me the basics and made a short-ish version for us to play." Steve smiled to her.

"I love it." Annie smiled up to Steve before turning to the pre-teen on the floor. "Thank you, Dusty."

"Well, when Steve said he wanted to paly D&D, I had to see this. The others thought I was joking."

"Yeah." Steve scratched the back of his neck. "Mike and Eleven are inseparable. So is Jonathan and Nancy. Joyce and Will had something and Max said it was a losers game. Lucas also pretended it was too, to impress Max."

"But I'm here." Dustin smiled.

The three were quick to sit round the table, criss cross apple sauce. Annie lent into Steve as they watched Dustin act out as the Dungeon master. Steve had draped a blanket around her shoulders to warm her up from the cold November air and combed his fingers through her hair. Dustin had a delicious warm cup of coco, curtesy of Mary Lewis.

"In the far reaches of the world under a lost and lonely hill, lies the TOMB OF HORRORS..."

"Lady Annabelle, you have to roll a ten to get past..."

"I suck at this." Steve groaned, rubbing a hand across his forehead. Annie bit her lip to hold back her laugh at how poorly he actually was at this. The blonde instead placed a hand on his arm and turned back to Dustin who was lit up with excitement.
"I spent a week teaching you, Steve." Dustin gave him a look before going to the board.

"And...." The three watched the dice roll before landing on the number she so desperately needed. "I won!" Annie shot up, a grin sat on her lips. Steve couldn't help but look at her in pure awe. She was finally okay. Well, okay as she could be.

Annabelle had fallen asleep with her head on Steve's lap. The older boy smiled down to her, stroking a hand through her blonde hair and the other up and down her back, comfortingly.

"You can take her to her room, Steve." Ms. Lewis spoke, entering the lounge, drying her hands on the towel. "I can take Dustin home." He nodded back with a smile, carefully picking the sleep ridden girl up bridal style and carrying her to her room.

Gently laying her down to her bed, he pulled the blanket over her, pressing a soft kiss to the top of her head.

Before Steve could walk away, a grip on his hand stopped him. Looking back, he turned to Annie who's eyes were still shut, half asleep, but tugging him back. "Stay. . . please." She mumbled.

"Tinkerbelle, I can't. Your mo-"

"Please."

Steve couldn't say no to her. "Scootch." He waved a hand and Annie shuffled to the other side, well the middle, and the Harrington boy lied down beside her. Instantly, Annie nuzzled her face into his neck, arm across Steve's stomach. Annie latched onto him like a kola.

"Happy birthday, Annabelle."

Annie let her eyes grow heavier, sleep coming closer. "happy birthday, Eds." She mumbled to herself just as sleep finally consumed her.