021 .

[1983]
021. the trap

After breaking into the police station to get there monster hunting gear back, they drove back to Jonathans house, grabbing everything from the truck and bringing it into the house to set up the bait.

The trio screwed in every lightbulb in the Christmas lights strung up. Jonathan nailed the bear trap down on the floor in the middle of the hallway. The girls loaded their guns, Byers hammering nails into a bat.

They soaked gasoline in a trail from the hallway to the room, attaching a yoyo to the chair beside it that led to the bear trap.

Now the trio was standing in a circle in the middle of the Byers living room. Going over the plan again to make sure nothing went downhill.

"Remember..."

"Straight into Will's room. And-" Nancy continued, followed by Jonathan.

"Don't step on the trap."

"Wait for the yo-yo to move." Annie spoke.

"Then.." Jonathan flicked open the lighter, the three nodding. "all right. You two ready?"

"Ready."

"..ready." Annie sighed, nodding her head. Each held there palm up, the other hand held a steak knife to their own palm.

"On three." the boy began. "One... two..." Nancy held back her own fears and tears, Annie kept her eyes on her hand, chewing her lip. "Neither of you have to do this-"

"Jonathan, stop talking."
"J, shut up."

The girls said at the same time, trying to ignore the boy. "I'm just saying you two don't have to-"

"Three." Annabelle said, cutting off Jonathan. Each pulled the knife across there palm with the knife, red flooding into there skin. "Shit!" The blonde yelped when it was over. Dropping the knife to floor in surprise, she used that hand to apply pressure to the cut.

Jonathan grabbed the tissues of the table, passing some to each one as they all applied pressure to the wound, making there way over to sit at the couch as the boy grabbed the first aid kit.

Annabelle sat on the coffee table, wrapping up her own bandage while the other two sat on the couch, Nancy now helping the boy. A distant sound pulled the brunette out of thought, but Annie was now fidgeting with her necklaces.

"Did you hear that?"

"It's just the wind." Both then looked to Annie who just shrugged. "Don't worry." She heard Jonathan talk to Nance. It was sweet. "My mom, she said the lights speak when it comes."

"Speak?"

"Think of them as alarms."

Annabelle zoned out of the two's conversation. She twisted her necklaces, trying to forget about the monster that would turn up any second now.

The sound of banging on the door made all three jump, knocked out of there own bubble. Before anyone could question, a voice rang through, one all three knew.

"Jonathan?" he knocked again. "Are you there, man? It's... It's Steve!" Annie looked back to the duo, confusion written on all there faces. "Listen, I just want to talk! Is Annie there?" He continued to bang on the door.

"Um... I'll go." Annabelle didn't look at her friends, she got up and went to the door, unlocking the latch. Annie took a breath, opening the door slightly so she could block his view to the inside of the house.

"Hey, Annie,"

"Steve, listen to me."

"What-"

"You really need to leave."