029.

[1984]
029. just a lizard

Annabelle remembered nothing about that night. Well not her drunk speech to Steve in his car or Steve helping her home. The next few days after Halloween, Annie was keeping a low profile at school. She didn't want to bump into Nancy or Jonathan, specially Steve. Luckily, she had been safe in doing so.

Annabelle had decided the longer way home, wanting to enjoy the cold November air. Annabelle just wanted her mind to stop while she enjoyed the outside world.

So that's what she was doing now. Walking down the street with her head down, Fleetwood Mac playing through her headphones via her Walkman. Her hands were stuffed in her jean pockets as she hummed to the song.

"Annabelle!"

The blonde didn't hear the familiar voice at first, but when they called out again, she broke out of her thoughts. "Annie!"

The blonde slipped of her headphones, letting them sit round her neck. When she looked up, she was met with someone that she was trying to desperately avoid, and not the voice that was calling out for her.

The older teens both froze as they saw each other. Like deer's in headlights. Steve remembered all of that night. Admitting his feelings to her, getting broken up with by Nancy, Annie's speech to him as he took her home. All of it.

That was last time Steve had saw her was a few hours after she fell asleep and abruptly woke up and made hast to the bathroom where she threw up the alcohol from that night. Steve had rushed to her side once again and held back her hair, holding a wet cloth to her forehead. Annie didn't even realise he was still there, or there at all. When she had finally got back to sleep in the comfort of her bed, Steve stayed for a while before reluctantly leaving to go to his own home.

"Steve?" She whispered, wide eyed as she didn't know why he was here right now. The younger boy, who called out to her, came to her side, grabbing her wrist to drag her with him to Steve's car.

"Do you still have your bat?" Dustin called over his shoulder to Steve, who was stood frozen on the spot, before turning back to Annie who he shoved by the passenger door. "Your gun?"

"No. It's um. I don't have it on me." She stuttered, still confused. Dustin sighed and looked back to the older boy. "What bat?" Steve asked confused, looking between the two.

"The one with the nails?"

"Why?"

"I'll explain it on the way." Henderson pushed Annabelle to get into the passenger seat. When she did, reluctantly, the boy threw the red roses on her lap then made his way to the back seat.

"Dusty, why did you give me flowers?" The blonde glanced back to the boy while also dropping her bag to the floor by her feet.

"Not from me. From Steve."

At the exact same time, Steve had opened the door and heard the words Henderson had just said. He was quick to get in his car, stumbling over his words as he denied it. "They, um... It's, um, yeah- for-"

"Nancy? Yeah, I guessed." Annabelle passed the roses to Steve who quickly tossed them in the back seat and started to the car to hastily drive away.

The second the trio took off towards the Henderson home, the awkward tension between the older teens rose as Dustin then began to explain the whole situation. He found a small creature in the bin on Halloween and now its double the size, and possibly a creature from the upside down. Annabelle decided that he was just lying. That is was a sick joke the kids came up with. She wish that it was just that.