044.

[December 1984]
044. making amends

Annabelle tapped the top of her fingertips against the counter in the record shop. "Come on, Jeff. I just need to go grab some change." Her chin rested on top of her fist, elbow lent on the counter.

The middle aged man behind the till raised a brown, giving her a glare. "You pay now or you leave it."

Annabelle pouted, "It's the last one. You know it's gonna be gone when I get back. It's limited edition."

Before Jeff could sass back, three dollars was placed down on the counter in front of both of them. "Here."

The blonde turned her head to look at who it was, seeing it was none other than Billy Hargrove. Annie immediately tensed, her eyeline falling to the ground.

"Thank you." Annie mumbled taking the vinyl from the counter, giving him a smile before leaving the store. When the door swung close behind, she let out a deep breath she was holding.

Annabelle began her walk to the Harrington household, pulling the Walkman from her jeans pocket to change the cassette. Annie stopped when she felt a presence beside her.

Looking to her left, she saw Billy Hargrove once again." "Hi?" The Hargrove boy didn't seem to acknowledge her at first. "Thank you... for the vinyl."

Billy nodded, "Jeff's an asshole."

The blonde chuckled, nodding. She held the record to her chest and kept her gaze on the floor as she walked along the street, the Walkman attached back to her pocket.

"I'm sorry. About that night." Hargrove apologised, hands shoved in his pocket and avoiding looking to the blonde. "I am."

"I think you should say that to Steve. He's been beat up before and this time he was just protecting the kids. He was only trying to protect them. If you really was looking out for Max, attacking her friends wasn't the way."

Billy sighed to himself. He understood her point of view, but the way he perceives things are different and he knows that. The duo walked in silent for a moment until the boy spoke up.

"Do you need a ride home?"

Annabelle stopped, turning to him. "Sure..." She searched the boys eyes for any distrust or deceit. "I'm going towards the Byers house."

A smirk played on the Hargrove boys lips. "Harrington's?" Annie nodded back with a small laugh. "Yeah, Steve's."

"So, I'm guessing things worked out. You and Steve." Billy spoke and Annabelle bit her lip, trying to hold back the smile at the thought of her boyfriend.

"Yeah. . . I guess things did."

Annabelle sat awkwardly in the passenger seat of the blue cameo as Billy drove her to Steve's. She wasn't to sure why Billy was deciding on being nice right now, but she hoped this niceness was for the best.

"Um, this might sound a bit... Just-Just don't hang out with Tommy and Carol."

"Why?" The blonde quirked a brow, looking over at him. Billy sighed and tapped his fingers against the wheel. "They're assholes. They don't deserve to be your friend."

Annabelle smiled. "Duly noted."

Billy Hargrove noticed something about Annie when he met her at the party. She remined him of how kind his own mom was. He felt a need to make sure Annie was okay even if he knew befriending her would leave her hurt but his own actions.

Last week at school at lunch, Billy sat opposite Carol and Tommy H. who began to talk shit about Annie and Steve. The Hargrove boy just got angered at them and made sure they knew to keep there mouth closed about the blonde girl who has always been nothing but nice.