027.

[1984]
027. Halloween take one: best friend confession

Annabelle Lewis walked into the party after having stolen a dress from her mom. She was wearing a green silk dress, going as Elvira from Scarface.

It was last minute but the second she entered the room, she realised she made the right choice coming when Annie found the punch bowl.

Scoping some up into a cup, she raised it in front of her. "To being a teenager." the second her lips touched the cup, she was downing the context back quickly. Her eyes scrunched closed and shook off the alcoholic taste.

Filling the cup up again to the brim this time, she wandered around the party, seeing if Jonathan or anyone else she knew was here. She hoped she could just avoid the Harrington boy tonight.

With a commotion, her eyeline caught sight of the new kid on the keg stand, everyone around cheered as he got back off, cheering too. "We got ourselves a new Keg King!" Annie rolled her eyes at Tommy trying to suck up to the next popular jock of the school while taking the last gulp of her fruit punch.

Leaving the boys to there own amusement, she went back inside to the drink table to grab another drink and downing it. Her gaze shifted to the door as the two faces she wish she wouldn't bump into, stood there. When she noticed Nancy making her way over, she filled up the solo cup to the brim and made hast to leave and towards the dance floor.

What felt like hours, but wasn't even that long, Annabelle laughed at something a random girl in the year below had said and pushed through the crowd back to the drinks. She was getting the feeling like her mind was finally numb to the guilt and the pain from her life.

Swallowing the last of her drink, she left the empty cup on the table and stumbled her way through he sweaty teens towards the bathroom.

Annie shut the door behind her, standing in front of the mirror with her hands gripping the side of the counter as she took in deep breaths. She was feeling the effects of the alcohol now. She just wanted to forget tonight and tonight forget the past. It was working, until her silence was interrupted as the bathroom door swung open then shut behind. When she looked to her left, her eyes locked onto Steve who was now leaning against the door.

"Can't you see? It's occupied." Annie rolled her eyes and looked back down, focusing on a dot on the floor in hopes to stop the wave of dizziness that washed over her from moving her head to quickly.

"I came to talk to you."

"I don't want to talk, Steve." Sighing, she stood up straight and dusted off her dress. "Please leave." Checking in the mirror, she wiped at her smudged lipgloss.

"Can you just stop avoiding me for one second, Annabelle." Annie's brown eyes met his, "Please." He whispered, taking a step towards her.

"Fine. You want to talk. Let's talk, Steve. Let's talk about how you ditched me only to then invite me to a party that killed my best friend. Then you proceeded to hurt both me and Nancy in more ways then one. . . I thought you were finally being you," She pushed back at his chest with her hand. "But no. Your just a dick."

"And I said I'm sorry, Annie. But please can you just stop with this. I know. I-I messed this up but I didn't mean to. I just-" He looked to her with those sad puppy dog eyes.

"What? You didn't mean to be an asshole or the fact that you kissed me then went back to Nancy like nothing happened. I bet she doesn't even know." She let out an airy chuckle, almost a s off. It was funny that he didn't want to hurt her, yet he already had.

"I never told her because how am I suppose to admit that I'm in love with my best friend!" He slowly yelled out. Annie froze, so did he. He didn't realise he had said it till the words came out. He didn't even realise he felt like that. Annabelle swallowed back the lump in her throat. Shutting her eyes a second, she realised she couldn't do anything about it. He was dating Nancy.

"Just... Just go find your girlfriend, Steve. You know, the one you came here with. I-I." Annie stumbled round the boy to the door behind. "I can't do this right now." She dodged Steve's arm to stop her and went out the room, slamming the door shut behind her. Taking deep breaths, she pushed through the drunk teens and back towards the drink table.

"Anna!" the blonde looked back to the familiar voice, seeing Jonathan. "Not now, J!" Annie waved him off, arriving at the drinks, grabbing a fresh cup and filling it full of the sweet taste, only to then chug it back as quick as possible and refill it again.

Moving behind to look at the glass bottles on the counter, she grabbed something stronger, assuming it was tequila, and took the 1/3rd full bottle with her to the dance floor.

Annabelle didn't really give a shit right now. She was just happy downing her sorrows in cheap alcohol and tequila. It was probably a bad idea since she had no way home, no one she really knew except Jonatan, the other two she was narrowly avoiding.

Letting herself be free for a short while, dancing away to the music of Talking heads and Metallica, Girls on film now played as she stumbled her way back over to the kitchen, a pout on her lips as the bottle was finished and somewhere in the crowd.

She failed to notice Nancy nor Steve was stood there until the girls drink went flying back onto Nancy and Annabelle, who was stood behind her. "The hell," her eyes followed up to see Steve looking guilty and shocked between he two girls. "Harrington!" Annie scoffed. Both girls went to walk away.

"Shit." Steve cussed to himself, grabbing some napkins from behind him and passing them to Annie as he followed behind the Wheeler girl towards the bathroom. The same he had just confessed his love to Annabelle in.

"He really is an asshole." She heard a voice, looking up to see it was the new kid, Billy. "As of today, yeah. Total douchebag." Annie scoffed, looking down as she tried to wipe of the sticky liquid on her dress. Letting out a frustrated sigh as her focus was fuzzy and she couldn't see straight to clean up.

"Need help?" Billy teased, leaning against the wall beside him. "If I say no will you leave?" Annie faked a smile at him. He just laughed it off. "I thought you were the 'good girl'. Annabelle Lewis. Best pals with Harrington. Princess of Hawkins. Nice girl priss."

Annabelle rolled her eyes in response at him. Dropping her hands down to her side, "You know, I'm getting really sick of people acting like that's all I am. If anyone actually cared, they'd know why." Her vision went blurry for a second, quickly blinking back the dizziness while holding onto the counter beside her. The boy in front sighed, taking the napkins from her hand and his other hand went to the back of her head, craning her neck slightly so he could wipe of the juice from her skin.

"We all have our reasons, but the second King Steve falls, so do you, princess."

"And what if your the one to replace him. Am I still just another girl in the hallway of Hawkins High." With a smirk, he pulled back, chucking the used tissues to the side on the counter.

"I'll think about it, Princess." With a wink, Billy left. She sighed and mumbled to herself, "I need a drink."