022.

[1983]
022. everything works out in the end

The second the group arrived at the hospital, they rushed to try and get a clue where everyone was. Before Annie could head in the direction, a familiar voice called.

"Annabelle?"

The blonde turned and saw her mom a few feet away. "Mom." Her voice was more of a whisper but she hurried over to the woman, wrapping her arms around her.

"Hey. Hey. What's wrong?" Annabelle didn't speak, she just wanted her mom. "Steve?" The older woman caught sight of him. "What-"

"Will was found. We got a call to say he's here." Mary nodded back to him and rubbed Annie's back to calm her down.

"Mary." A nurse called for her. The older woman looked down at Annie and sighed. "I can take her, Ms Lewis." Steve stepped forward. Nancy and Jonathan nodded to Steve and took off to Will's room.

Mary kissed her daughters forehead and unwrapped her arms from around her. "I have to go. But I'll find you soon. You've got Steve." The blonde didn't want to let go. She was trying to hold in her sobs. It was finally over, but she felt worse.

Steve carefully pulled the girl away, smiling to Mary to let her know its okay for her to get back to work. The second the contact was gone, Annie buried her head in his chest.

"I know. It's okay, Annie."

The two stayed like that for a while until she was finally able to stop the tears and head upstairs to the rest of them. Annie didn't speak to no one. Once she got to the waiting room, the kids were already asleep and Jonathan was already in Will's room.

The two made it over towards the spare seats beside Jim. He looked up at them and when he saw Annie, he began his lecture to her. "That was really stupid. Being the hero." Annie rolled her eyes at Hopper. "I'm serious. Don't do it again." She cut him off from ranting further, hugging him.

"I'm sorry."

Hopper sighed, hugging her back. "It's okay, kid. It's okay."

After a couple hours went by, most of the group were asleep in the waiting room. Annie's head was resting on Steve's shoulder, the boy making no moves to get her off. Instead, he was playing with the scrunchie on her wrist, his other hand running his fingers through her hair. It was a surprise she could sleep at all.

When a crash from the three young boys running out, Annie jolted awake, lifting her head up slightly to see what was happening. Jonathan sent her a small smile.

"Hey, shh, go back to sleep." Steve whispered to her. The blonde looked up to him, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand. "Can you take me home." Her voice was groggy from sleep.

Steve looked up to Jonathan who nodded. "I'll tell Mary." The Harrington boy nodded back.

"Let's get you home, Belle." He pulled her up with him. Annabelle rested her cheek to his arm, trying her best to stay awake. Steve acknowledged Nancy as the walked past, he would have offered to drive her home, but her family was with her.

The second she got into the car, she pulled her knees to her chest, head leaning on the window. It wasn't far to her house, but the silence was starting to get to Steve. It made him worry for his friend.

Steve kept looking back to the blonde beside him. Her eyes fluttered close and her breath steadied. What Steve didn't realise was, was that was the moment he fell for his best friend.

Steve Harrington was in love with Annabelle Lewis and he didn't know it.