053.

[1985]
053. our final night alive

Annabelle didn't mind the rain, but lying low on a rooftop with a flimsy jacket was not helping. Dustin, Steve, Annie and Robin had more clues to what this spy code was then before. It lead them to the roof near the mall, watching delivery trucks back in.

It only made the teenagers more alarmed by this secret code as men stood below with guns strapped across there chest. Annie just wished that it was nothing connecting to the upside down.

"Look for Imperial Panda and Kaufman Shoes."

Dustin had binoculars in hand. "They're with that whistling guy, ten o'clock."

Annie sighed as she turned to her boyfriend beside her, seeing that his great idea was too not put the hood of his jacket up as it poured rain above. "What do you think's in there?" The Harrington boy questioned.

"Guns, bombs?"

"Chemical weapons?"

Annie huffed, "Let's just hope its food."

"Whatever it is, they're armed to the teeth." Dustin voiced.

Thunder clapped above them, rain coming down harder. "Great. That's great." Steve spoke, sarcastically as he wiped the rain from his face but it was already replaced. Annie chuckled under her breath, the Harrington boy turned to glare at her. "It's not funny, Annie."

"You literally have a hood, Steve. I'm finding this hilarious."

"Hey, what's in there?" Robin interrupted the couple. Someone was walking into the back of the mall, boxes in hand.

Dustin, still in charge of the binoculars, stated what he saw. "It's just more boxes."

"Let me check it out." Steve said, grabbing the binoculars in Dustin's hand.

"No, I'm still looking."

"Lemme see it."

The blonde rolled her eyes. She was used to them being dumb and dumber like this, but this wasn't the time or place. "Guys."

The curly head boy looked at her for help. "He started it."

The Harrington boy defended, "You won't let go"

"Oh, God." Annie sighed. The rain had made the binoculars slippery and it fell out from the boys' grip, banging loudly into the metal below. The four on the roof immediately ducked below the small wall that hid them from the evil Russians. Annie immediately found her hand linked with Steve's.

"We gotta go."

*

Annie was adamant that Robin and Dustin couldn't bike home in the rain. She didn't want to risk anyone getting hurt. Despite Steve's protest, the two sat in the back, Annie in the front.

Steve's parents were away again, it wasn't a surprise to Steve or Annie. After dropping Robin and Dustin off, the couple drove to his house. Annie was sitting crossed legged on the passenger seat, biting at the skin around her thumb as anxiety crawled up her spine.

"You okay?" Steve voiced, noting the blondes silence.

Annie nodded, "I just have a bad feeling. It can't be a coincident that whatever is happening with the Russians and the code is in Hawkins."

Steve took one hand of the wheel, grabbing Annie's hand. "We don't know anything, tink. But we have each other either way. Forever and always, right?"

Annie smiled, genuinely. "Forever and always."

But Annie just couldn't let go that this summer was not gonna end well. That whatever was going on under the mall was is connection with a place she'd deemed as hell.