040.

[1984]
040. the maze game

It didn't take long until they arrived at the hive mind. "All right, Wheeler. I think we found your hub." Multiple tunnels all surrounded the rock in the middle.

"We are not in Kansas anymore." Annie mumbled as she walked away from the group, looking around at the place.

"Let's drench it."

Steve and Annie was passed an extra can of gasoline, the group walking around and chucking the liquid on every inch possible of the place.

"Did you bring enough?" Annie spoke as she stepped back, dropping the rest of the gasoline with the bottle to the floor. "I think so." Lucas called out to her.

Steve arrived by her side first, "You have a lighter?" Annie pulled one out of her pocket, the one she always carries encase of a spontaneous attack by a demo creature.

"Okay, let's get back." Steve turned to the kids as they finished, leaving the gasoline cans behind. The four stayed  behind the teens. "You guys ready?"

"Yeah."

"Ready."

"Light her up."

Annie and Steve shared a look as Steve flicked on the lighter. "We're in such deep shit."

"Can't get worse." Annie shrugged. Steve made sure everyone was back before throwing the lighter forward, the vines instantly setting alight.

"Okay, go, go, go." Annie hurried the younger four as the fire got hotter and brighter. Steve and Annie instantly ran behind them.

"Let's go, let's go." Steve called out after getting to the front to lead them out. The blonde could hear Steve mumble to himself as he lead them through the upside down, reminding the girl of when he freaked out in the Byers home after seeing the Demogorgon for the first time.

As Annabelle rushed behind the kids down the path, something caught her ankle and brought her down with a Shrek from the girl as her head hit against the floor. Rolling onto her back, she looked down to see a vine wrapped around her foot.

Annie completely froze. It was the exact same thing as last year. Her breathing picked up as the nightmares of what this place had done went around in her mind like a carousel. She didn't didn't even realise Mike and Lucas had grabbed her arms to help her, or them calling back to Steve. Annie was stuck in the upside down... again.

She was panicking, a lot. Annabelle thought maybe she wouldn't be lucky this time and get out. There was no monsters to run from at the moment, but in a second there could. Would the kids stay or run. Would Steve be stupid to risk his life for hers. God, she hated this.

"Everybody back!" The sound of Steve's voice instantly pulled her back to reality. Sounds finally transmitting in her brain. Though, she barley heard the boy as a ringing pounded through her ears.

Steve brought down the nailed bat to the vines, finally freeing Annabelle. "Annie! Come on!" Steve called to her, seeing as she wasn't moving. He helped her up, but she was still out of it.

"It-It's gone. . ." She panted, " Nothings there, right?" Annabelle asked to the boy, dazed and desperate.

"Yeah. Your safe, but we need to go. Now." He intertwined his hand with hers and pulled her along with him. Just as they turned, the six were met with a demo-dog.

Steve had moved his hand to hold around Annie's waist, making sure that if she hurt her ankle, she wasn't injuring it more by standing on it. Steve had made a move to go forward, but Dustin stopped him.