051.

[July 1985]
051. secret russian code

Annabelle walked into Scoops Ahoy, a smile on her face when she noticed Steve behind the counter, talking to Robin. The Buckley girl noticed the new customer, unlike Steve who turned around and loudly began to speak.

"Ahoy lady-" Steve's eyes widened as Annie was there. "Didn't see you there. Would you like to set set sail on this ocean of flavours with me? I'll be your captain. Steve Harrington."

Annabelle chuckled, "Well, yes please, Steve Harrington." Steve smirked to the girl, "I'll have one scoop-"

"- strawberry with sprinkles." Steve finished, already getting the ice cream ready for the blonde.

"Thank you." Annie grinned. When Steve handed her the cone, the blonde leant on her tip toes to lean over the counter to be able to press a kiss to Steve's cheek.

Falling back to stand on her feet, her attention was taken to the door to the back swinging open. Dustin had rushed out and immediately grabbed the Lewis girls wrist, dragging her into the back room.

"Okay, so I was trying to contact my girlfriend, Suzie, with the cerebro I made last night but instead," Dustin rushed out, grabbing the tape recorder from the table. "I found a secret Russian code. Steve is shit at this and we got Robin helping too but your like super smart and you said you learnt languages at camp."

Annie was completely stunned, eyes wide as she processed what Dustin had said. Russian message sounded better then Demogorgon's. Steve pulled her out of thought, asking, "Camp?"

Annie nodded, eyes scanning over the paper on the table with some already translated words. "Yeah." She mumbled. "Freshman year. Summer camp."

It was after Steve and Annie grew distant. Annie didn't really feel like spending any more time in Hawkins so she went to a camp and where she became close friends with Liam.

Steve raised a brow, curious still as he didn't realise she vanished to camp that summer. Annie glanced to the freckled girl who was sat at the other chair, sending her a small smile in greeting before turning to Dustin, hand outstretched. "Let me listen."

Steve returned back to his job, leaving Robin, Annabelle and Dustin in the back room to translate the code.

Annabelle had soon finished her ice cream and now sat opposite the curly head boy, eyes scanning the Russian translate book in front of her, the sound of the tape playing filling the silence.

"Wait. There." Annie's eyes went wide, flickering the pages of the book. She remembered one of the words. "blue. sinji."

"Woah." Dustin was kinda shocked that Annie actually figured out words not just letter by letter that they'd been doing.

"It's spelt. . ." Annie tried to remember the letters from English to Russian, flickering the pages of the book to find blue. "Ha." In triumph, Annie took the pen and pad from Dustin, scribbling down the word.

"The week is . . . blue?" Dustin read the line. Annie shook her head. Blue. It was a different line. "Go back to the first sentence." Dustin rewound the tape, the same Russian words from the past hour once again played.

"There. It's. . ." Robin snapped her fingers. "It's pronounced. . . 'dly-nna-ya'. Which is spelled. . . "

"D. Chair looking thing." Annie glanced from the white board, that she realised had been wiped away and replaced by the Russian alphabet. However, the 'you suck' side was quite heavily favoured from what she remembered.