038.

[1984]
038. king v. king

Annabelle had excused herself once The Byers, Hopper, Nancy and Eleven left. She stood in front of the sink, taking a moment to actually breath, throwing some cold water onto her face.

Taking one last deep breath, she unlocked the door and made her way towards the others. Her attention went to the chaos in the kitchen. The items of the fridge was all over the floor and table. Steve had the demo-dog wrapped in his arms, shoving said creature into the fridge.

Annabelle furrowed her eyebrows, bending down to grab the jar of peanut butter that sat on the floor. "Do I wanna know?" She asked as she stood up, her voice making the boys freeze.

"I'd advise against it." Dustin mumbled, not glancing back to the blonde. Annie sighed and placed the jar back onto the counter. "Okay. . ." She dragged out. "Just... clean this up after. I'm not explaining this to Joyce."

Dustin hummed and finish shoving the door close. A small smile on her lips as Steve ruffled the cap over Dustin's head. "Where are the others?"

"In here!" She heard Lucas yell from the front room.

As Annabelle walked in, she saw Mike pacing, Lucas and Max cleaning the mess of the broken window.

"Be careful." The older girl warned the two as they cleaned the glass shards. She made her way to Mike, wrapping her arms around his shoulders, pulling him to her to get him to stop pacing.

"She'll be fine, Michael." Annie assures, letting him sink into the hug. "But you weren't in there, Annie. That lab is swarming with hundreds of those dogs."

"Demo-dogs!" Dustin called out.

"The chief of police will take care of her." Lucas added.

Max sighed, "Like she needs protection."

Steve walked in, wiping his hands on a dish towel. "Listen, dude, a coach calls a play in a game, bottom line, you execute it. All right?" Annie gave him a confused look.

"Okay, first of all, this isn't some stupid sports game. And second, we're not even in the game. We're on the bench." Mike clarified.

Steve stammered, "So my point is. . ."

"We're on the bench. The side-lines. Safe." Annie stated, leaving one arm around Mike's shoulder and the other on her hip. "I need you all to be safe." Annie raised a brow at the four.

"Yeah, what Annie said. There's nothing we can do, anyway." Steve threw the towel over his shoulder.

"There's not entirely true." Dustin contradicted. "I mean, these Demo-dogs, they have a hive mind. When they ran away from the bus, they were called away."

"If we get their attention. . ." Lucas stated.

Max continued, "Maybe we can draw them from the lab."

"Clear path to the gate." Mike cached on.

"Yeah, and then we all die." Steve practically yelled. Annie bite her cheek, looking from the kids to Steve.

"That's one point of view." Dustin shrugged.

"Well, what's Annabelle's opinion. Because I know she's not willing to lose you rug rates." They turned to the blonde who shrugged. "I'm sorry, but I can't risk any of you getting hurt."

"Then you come with us. Protect us. You did a pretty good job back at the bus." Dustin shot back, looking from Steve to Annie.

"And Annie got hurt." Steve practically yelled.