026.

[1984]
026. library chats

"Ghostbusters?" Annabelle laughed, walking along the corridor with Jonathan. "Yeah." He let out an airy chuckle.

"Do they realise that the other kids aren't going to dress up. It'll be just them." The duo stopped at her locker. "I wish I saw them this morning."

"I tried to tell, Will, but he wouldn't listen. At lest they're happy." Jonathan lent on the locker beside her, watching as she put her books in, exchanging it for a different one.

"They deserve normal."

Annie closed the locker and lent against it, beside Jonathan. "I think we all deserve to relax and have fun. No worries about monsters and the upside down and bad men. Just being kids and teenagers."

"Don't, Anna." He gave her a look, eyes widening in realisation. A smirk played on her lips and she tugged at his sleeve. "Come on, J. I really need a night to relax. It's been stressful the last year and we can get drunk."

Jonathan rolled his eyes, standing straight to walk beside her. "Look, I'll see. But if you go, please make sure to be safe. Get a ride with Steve and Nancy, okay." He was serious.

"Yeah." She mumbled under her breath, looking down.

"What happened?" The blonde looked up to him confused, furrowed brows. "I thought it was just because of the upside down but you weren't like this after."

"What?" Annie crossed her arms over her chest. She didn't really realise how much It all had effected her, especially Steve's little spectacle. "Are you serious?"

He shook his head. "Listen, your my best friend. I'm just concerned." He smiled. "I want to help you. Nancy went through the same thing. You can talk to her. Me, Steve-"

The shorter of the two scoffed, cutting him off. "Like he would." With a deep breath, the blonde put on a smile and looked up to the Byers boy. "I've gotta run. I'll see you later." Before her friend could respond, Annabelle was already walking off, headphones sat over her ears and blocking out the reality of the outside world.

Making a b-line to the library, Annabelle was fumbling with the cassette in her hands, not looking up at her surroundings as she entered the room. Needing someplace quiet, she walked towards one of the small study rooms, her spot she goes to most of the time since last year.

Opening the door to the small room, she looked up, locking eyes with Nancy Wheeler and Steve Harrington. "Shit. Sorry."

"No, its oaky." Nancy smiled, pulling back from her boyfriend. the blonde and Steve locked eyes for a brief second. They had so many mixed emotion, they didn't know what they exactly felt right then. Annie made the first move, moving her focus back to the girl and pulling her headphones around her neck.

"I can just come back. I-"

"We were just leaving." Nancy quickly added, not realising the way Annie was trying to avoid looking at either of them. Or Steve looking down. He felt as this was his fault. Which it was and he knew. He knew very well it was.

"I'm sorry you couldn't come yesterday to see Barbs parents. I can come with you to see Liam's this week?" The Wheeler girl offered, trying to be nice with a smile, hiding her own sadness and guilt.

Annie shook her head, fumbling with the scrunchie on her wrist. "It's oaky. I'll let you know." Annie offered her a smile before looking down.

"Maybe you should stay here and talk with Steve. You-" Nancy was quickly cut off by the blonde. "I actually have to go. Um... Bye." Not sparing back a glance, she turned and walked out, slamming the door behind her.

"Stupid Demogorgon. stupid Steve. stupid, stupid kiss." Annie mumbled to herself, placing her headphones back on to cancel out the world around her, including when the Wheeler girl tried to call out to her.