031.

[1984]
031. prostitution to Keith

Shorty after there talk on the train tracks, the trio arrived at the junk yard. Annabelle pulled Steve's sunglasses over her eyes at the bright sun setting.

"Oh, yeah. Yeah, this will do." Steve sighed, joining Annie's side. "This will do just fine. Good call, dude." He started to make his way further down the hill.

"Idiot." Annabelle mumbled under her breath and ruffled Dustin's hair over the hat before following the Harrington boy. Meeting at the bottom of the small hill, the three dumped the rest of the meat pieces into a pile.

"I said medium-well!" A voice called out and they turned to see Lucas and a girl the boys age. Max.

"Who's that?"

When no answer came from Dustin, both Steve and Annabelle turned to him. The look on his face said it all. "Oh." Her face fell in realisation. She threw her arm around the boy's shoulders and smiled to him. "Let's get this done. Sooner we finish, the sooner we can go home."

The group parted ways, Dustin dragging Lucas away behind a car to talk privately while the other three began to move scrap metal over to the bus.

"Hey! Dickheads!" Annie paused moving a piece of wood and looked up to Steve. "How come the only ones helping me out is Annie and this random girl? We lose light in 40 minutes. Let's go. Let's go, I said!"

Annie chuckled as the two boys scattered away. "Her name's Max." Annie had a smile on her face, going back to helping out. Steve turned to her, eyebrows furrowed. "What?"

"The 'random girl'? Her name is Max."

"How do you know her?" Steve questioned, grabbing another abandoned sheet of metal. "I bumped into her the other day." Annie smiled to him before walking away, joining the girl who looked like she didn't want to be here.

"I'm sorry the boys dragged you into this. You shouldn't have to be here."

"I wanted to. I really don't believe Lucas about this... upside down." Max shrugged.

"Look, I went through hell last year because of that place. I don't want you to lose someone or be hurt because of others actions. But stick to me and Steve and if we're not there, you run and never look back, oaky?"

Max was looking up to her, nodding back. Annie let out a deep breath then smiled to her. "Good. But the party is the best people you can be friends so hold that close."

Lucas and Dustin was lugging over a fence piece towards the bus while Steve was a little further away, busy boarding up another side. "I'm glad we never prostituted you to Keith, Annie." Dustin mumbled out of the blue over to them after hearing Annie's words.

"What?" Steve's eyes went wide. The boys didn't know he could hear them. Steve turned to the thirteen year olds. "Nothing!" Dustin and Lucas said at the same time, quick to scramble away into the bus and away from the older boy who looked like he was about to kill the teens, but luckily was stopped by Annabelle.