036.

[1984]
036. the confession

Nancy and Steve stood beside each other in the shed, taping throes up. Nancy finally broke the silence that dawned on them. "I'm sorry about how I spoke about Annie. It's just... I know you love her. I think I knew that before we ever spoke. The way you look at her... I just wanted someone to look at me that way and you did but. . . but it was never the same way. It was like I was the closest you could get to her and maybe that was my fault, coming between you two."

"No. You didn't." Steve sighed. "I thought I did love you the same way. But the last few days. . . I don't know."

"It's fine." Nancy looked up to him. "If you still hold onto any feelings about me, it would just risk you getting with Annie. She's not jealous, but she loves you. I know she does."

Nancy had a smile on her lips but Steve shook his head, going back to fix the tarp on the wall. "I'm not so sure about that. We've barely spoke. Not like we used to anyways. Annie hadn't even looked at me till the library the other day. It was my fault. I messed it up."

"Steve, I know how much you care for her and how much Annie cares for you too, but maybe Annie liked you more then she thinks. Maybe it feels like your using her, making her feel like a second choice. She might just actually want you."

The boy looked down, running a hand though his hair. "I kissed her." Nancy's head shot up to look at him. "Last year." He sighed.

"I started to feel different around Annie when we got to high school and so I just slowly let her be and then I met you and I though having Annabelle again would be great. You two would get on great. But then everything happened. Me and you were on rocky ground. We never really made anything official, especially after and she came round upset after some family incident, and I just. . . I kissed her."

Steve avoided eye contact with his ex, but Nancy just laughed. "God, you're so stupid. I knew you loved her and you finally kissed her. . . when she was upset." She scoffed playfully. She wasn't hurt. Not at all. "She definitely felt bad if you did that why presuming I was with you. Never confess when woman are upset, Steve. Or drunk." She added, sticking some tape to the wall.

Harrington looked to Nancy and sighed, " I love her, Nance."

"Then tell her that, idiot."

Annie was hitting her gun against the palm of her hand. She was out of bullets, but the trigger was jammed and it was frustrating the girl who was forced by everyone to relax, even though they all did the hard work. "Stupid demo-dogs." She hit the bud of the gun to her hand again, "Stupid Steve." again, "Stupid Hawkins."

"I'm not letting you use my bat again." The voice made Annie jump. Steve walked into the kitchen, sitting down beside her.

"I don't need it" She sighed. "I don't even know why I kept this. It doesn't even work."

"Well you did save my ass back there." He bumped her shoulder with his. A small chuckle left her lips. "Yeah. Then you had to save me. Twice. And again last year. I'm not letting this become a tradition, Steve."

"God, I hope not, Tink."

Both teens froze at the use of the nickname. Some may think it would be stupid. It's just a word. But to them, It was more. It was like I love you. It was Steve and Annie's thing. No one was aloud to use it. It brought them back to a simpler time.

"Sorry."

"No." She shook her head. "It's fine."

Steve's cheeks flushed red slightly, from embarrassment and his feelings before leaning his arms onto the table in front of him. "You're staying out of this. Whatever happens. I need to know your safe. I can't protect you if your running away, being a hero."