028.

[1984]
028. Halloween take two: bullshit theory

Steve was flustered. This whole evening was supposed to be being stupid teenagers. Yet, here he was being a stupid teen by telling Annabelle he loved her with his girlfriend next door.

He didn't mean to have these feelings. He does love Nancy Wheeler, but then there's Annie. It always seems to be Annabelle.

Shaking his head, he pushed the door to the bathroom shut behind him and turned to Nancy who was wiping a wet cloth over the stained white tee. "Nance, I'm sorry."
He sighed, leaning back for a second against the door. Why is this the bathroom they decided to enter. "That's not coming off, Nance."

"It's coming." The brunette girl was quite drunk, and was so caught up with anger and emotion, she kept rubbing at her top. "Come on. Let me just take you home, okay? Come here." Steve was trying to help. "Let me take you home. Come on."

"You wanted this." The girl slurred.

"No, I didn't want this. I told you to stop drinking."

"It's bullshit."

"No, it's not bullshit. Okay?" Steve was trying to be calm, knowing she was just drunk. He really did just want to help.

"Bullshit."

"No, it's not bullshit, Nancy."

"No, you. You're bullshit." she spat, looking up to him. Those words immediately took the boy by surprise, stammering on his words. "W-what?"

"You're pretending like everything is okay. You know, like we didn't... Like we didn't kill Barb and Liam. Like, It's great. Like, we're in love and we're partying. Yeah, let's party, huh? Party. Let's find Annie so we can party." She slurred, "This is bullshit."

" 'Like we're in love' ?" She didn't love him. Even though it came from Nancy, Steve just felt like this was Annie saying it. Well, she technically didn't. She left.

"It's bullshit."

"You don't love me?"

"It's bullshit." She looked right into his eyes. "It's all bullshit. Except that you love Annie. It's always Annabelle. You're worried about Annie. Jonathan's hanging out with Annie. But she doesn't love you." Nancy dragged out the 'you'. "She doesn't even look at you anymore. But you, " She prodded his chest. "you want Annabelle but she's always five fucking feet away from you. It's pathetic."

Steve had stepped back, wide eyes as he tried to process what had happened. Nancy didn't love him and maybe it was because he was so in love with Annabelle that he didn't notice it. That he really felt more love then he imagined for his best friend. But right now, he was getting the truth from his girlfriend that doesn't love him.

Sighing to himself, he quickly exited the room and wiped the forming tears from his eyes. Maybe it was all just bullshit.

Annabelle had stumbled out the party, not focusing on the loud music behind her or the people scattered around the driveway.

She kept walking, well stumbling down the road before tripping over and falling to her knees. "Shit." she slurred, glancing at her leg that stung, noticing the cut under her knee. Annie let out a groan of annoyance and tried her best to stand back up by using the wall.