House of Pretenders

I missed out House of Memory.

Nicholas's POV

We had just finished listening to Joy she had just said that Rufus Zeno was Trudy's mind doctor and that Vera is working with him.

Amber "If Rufus is a memory doctor, does this mean this box thingy will work on us, too?"

Patricia"No, It's still garbage. But anyway, now we know their plan, we can just tell Vera to get lost."

Fabian"Unless we pretend to be under their influence,"

Nicholas" You can't be serious Fabian?"

Amber"Tumbleweed moment, Fabian, Explain."

Fabian"Think of it this way, Victor is perhaps the best senet player alive. He probably learned it from Robert as a boy, so he would know all of Robert's strategies."

Joy"Hang on, So we let Victor and Vera think they're using us to get the Mask, but really"

Patricia"We would be using them,"

Joy"It's crazy! Look, I can get you across the board. I just need more time."

Nicholas"We're running out of time, Joy, my twin is down there"

Alfie "Well, I'm in,"

Nicholas" Me too"

Patricia" Me, three,"

Amber" Okay, I'm in"

Alfie, Patricia, Fabian, and I put our right hands over our right eyes, symbolising our agreement to this plan. Amber does the same and we all smile at each other.

Joy"I think you're all insane,"

Amber"And that, is why you'll never be a Sibuna."

That evening Trudy sits at the head of the table in Nina's usual spot. Fabian and Alfie are on their side of the table, while Amber, Patricia, and I sit on the other side, waiting to pretend to be hypnotised.

Trudy"Dr. Alexander said, that if you share the memory box with a friend, then sweet dreams will come true to both the giver and the receiver. Isn't that such a lovely thought?"

Yeah totally amazing I think. Then Patricia pretends she cares.

Patricia" Aww, how lovely,"

Fabian"Very sweet,"

Trudy"And he gave me this really clever exercise to help me to sleep, Shall I show you? Oh, where's the box? Oh, I think Vera had it last."

Fabian""Okay, ready, just remember its all garbage"

Alfie"It's garbage, it's garbage, it's gar—"

Fabian"In your head, Alfie."

Trudy sets the object on the table in front of her.

Trudy"Now...as soon as I open the lid, look inside, and all your thoughts..."

She's cut off by herself yawning.

Vera"Have you seen the time, Trudy? Didn't Dr. Alexander recommend an early night?"

Trudy"Oh, yes. I do feel a bit drained. I was just about to show them—"

Vera"Oh, I can take it from here. You've certainly talked me through it enough."

Trudy"Oh, thanks, Vera. I will turn in, I think. Good night, everyone. Sweet dreams."

Charlie's POV

I sat on the floor with Jerome, my mouth filled with marshmallows, he offered me another one and I shook my head.

Jerome" Say it"

Charlie" Chubby bunnies like honey"

Though it did come out all muffled.Jerome then shoves some in his mouth and says what I'm assuming is Chubby Bunnies love honey"

We both start laughing but then also trying not to spit out the marshmallows. When we have finished we both just sit there and smile. Jerome strokes my hair.

Jerome" I really do love you, Charlie"

Charlie" I love you too Jerome"

We kiss and keep doing it. After an hour we decide to get something to eat and head to the kitchen. We meet up with my brother and he says he is just off to see dad. We both head into the kitchen and then I hear the voice that makes my heart beat a million times per minute and my stomach drop.

Rufus" Hello, Jerome, Charlie"

We both turn around and there he is standing in front of me and Jerome. Jerome squeezes my hand and Rufus notices.

Rufus" Nice to see you again Charlie, see you got yourself a boyfriend and from what I've heard a brother and a dad"

Charlie" Yeah, so"

Rufus" So, so you two don't raise the alarm, I am going to need you two to come with me"

Charlie" No!"

Jerome" No, no, no"

Nicholas's POV

We are all stood in the tunnels on the senet board, with Victor as head and Vera watching from the sidelines.

Victor" Mr Rutter, Miss Williamson, Mr Lewis, and Miss Millington, take one step forwards."

I step forward and notice that I am going to stand on a danger square and I could be swallowed up, well at least I would be with my sister.

Victor"Martin...Martin...Martin... So very clever, Robert. This senet board has enemy pieces which are much harder to beat."

Vera "It's the same as the miniature version, isn't it?, If you land on a jackal square, they could take you."

Victor"Yes, but they all spin according to a set pattern. This one here always turns two squares in a clockwise position, but I need more time to predict the others."

Vera"Just do it."

Victor "...Martin step...left,"

I am now absolutely petrified and don't want to do this. Fabian whispers to me.

Fabian" You have to Nicholas"

Victor "What is going on? Why isn't he doing it?"

I slowly take a step to the left and sigh, then the jackals turn on me. This is not good.

Story Notes
So Victor and Vera think they have the kids under their control, Jerome and Charlie have been kidnapped and now Nicholas is forced to move onto a danger square is he going to be swallowed up.

Authors Notes
Let me know what you think? I hope you like. I know it's not that long.

Vote/Comment/Follow
Thanks X