Baby Duty

Thank you all for the love and support. America's going to shit, last time I felt the need to leave this country like this was when Trump was put into office. I've found some solace in writing and reading, especially reading my comfort fics; so I hope you all can find some comfort in this too. 

"I would be such a good babysitter! I would read, play with him, cuddle, everything! You guys can trust me!" Harry said to Mitch and Sarah, who had just talked about their vacation they had planned. They had planned this vacation while Sarah was pregnant, but wanted to wait a bit for their son to be a little bit older before leaving. 

Their baby, Jackson, was now 6 months old, and it was a couple weeks before they were going to take off for the vacation they had planned. The babysitter they had planned had just let them know that they wouldn't be available anymore for that time, and they were on the hunt for someone else. 

It's not like they didn't fully trust Harry, they knew he was a caring gentle person; but they just weren't sure in his ability to take care of another dependent human being. Harry wasn't always the smartest, has never been the best at taking care of himself without reminders, and had never had to take care of a baby, much less one for multiple days. 

"I don't know H, taking care of a baby is a big responsibility; you have to change them, deal with the crying, feed them, everything. It can be quite challenging!" Mitch said, hoping to sway Harry from wanting to babysit. 

"But I can do it Mitch! Tell him Sarah, I can watch Jackson," Harry said, giving her his big doe eyes. She would usually fall for it; but this was her child in question, and she definitely couldn't put him at risk.

"H-ie, I think Mitch and I have to discuss this first before we make any decisions, it's really hard to take care of a baby! It's sometimes hard for Mitch and I and there's two of us, so it'd be especially difficult if you watched him alone!" Sarah said, trying to be as kind as possible. 

"I can do it," Harry mumbled, looking down at the floor. They were in the studio currently, recording the finishing touches of Harrys new album.

Mitch took a deep breath, trying not to lash out on the boy. "We know you want to, how about Sarah and I discuss it and then we'll come up with a plan, okay?" Mitch said, hoping to end the conversation.

"Fine," Harry said with a big sigh, but was clearly more satisfied with that answer. 

"Good deal, now lets listen to this album and make sure it's all good, yeah?" Mitch said, directing Harrys attention to the music instead, something that was always a great distraction for the boy. 

Thankfully, the babysitting conversation was put to an end at that point, but Sarah and Mitch knew they needed to have a talk about whether Harry will babysit for them or not. They got home, allowing Sarahs mum to go home from watching Jackson. Sarah and Mitch wanted to have a quiet night with their son, and discuss the topic that was brought up.

"So, what do you think of this whole deal with H?" Mitch asked, rubbing Jacksons tummy while Sarah fed him a bottle. She sighed and looked down at their baby, unable to help the feeling of pure love and protectiveness that goes through her. 

"Honestly, I'm not sure. I really don't think he can handle watching a baby for multiple days. I definitely think he's underestimating how difficult it could be and I just don't think I have enough trust that he will take care of Jackson without panicking. I think if he does watch him, I would want someone else with him to just guide him on how to do some of these things," Sarah said, pulling the empty bottle away and burping Jackson. 

Mitch nods, looking at their son. "I think Harry really wants to bond with him, especially now that he's over his little jealous streak he had with all the attention not being on him anymore. I wonder if Jeff would be alright with staying with H during the time we're gone. Would you be comfortable with that?" Mitch asked Sarah, brushing his foot against her leg.