chapter seven: tequila, no ice

"Whiskey sour,"

"Martini,"

"Old Fashioned,"

Requests were flying at me from customers. I had about ten minutes before my break and then I was back on duty.

I was able to serve the drinks out on time before I was off the clock. "Danielle, I'm going to need you back here in twenty," my manager informed me.

I turned to the door and saw that a lot of students had just walked in. Our Saturday night just got a lot busier.

"Got it Rick," I said before walking out the back door.

The air was cold and it sent a shiver up my spine before the door shut behind me. I walked around the side of the building not liking how dark it was in the back.

The street lamps gave me enough light to feel comfortable. I pulled out my phone before hearing the flick of a lighter close by.

I turned my head and saw someone lighting up next to me. I couldn't handle the smell and I'm not one to keep an opinion to myself.

"You know smoking's bad for you," I said, still looking at my phone.

"What's it to you?" they asked in a deep voice. I gave them a pointed look through the dark but I doubt they could see me. "Not into smoking?"

"It's not gonna fix all your problems like you think." I scoffed.

He didn't say anything else before tossing his cigarette and walking away. Rude. It was whatever though. Not like I would see him again.

Twenty minutes went by quickly and I was back behind the bar like I never left. The entire bar had changed when I got back. Instead of the older patrons, students were in their place.

I served them their drinks and my coworker suffered by asking all of them for id's. When someone else called my name I walked over thinking nothing of it.

"Danielle, I didn't know you worked here."

I looked up to see who was sitting across from me. "Ryan," I smiled. "What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Me and some of the guys wanted to go out tonight. Found this bar and here we are," he grinned.

"Yeah, here we are. What would you like?" I asked.

"Shot of tequila please, no ice." he smiled.

"Coming right up," I laughed.

I came back and poured him his shot before I saw him take it down. "Hey, what time do you get off?" he asks.

"In about half an hour," I answered. "Why?"

"You should come with us. There's a party up the block and we're all going after," he explained.

"Thanks for the offer, but I'm not sure," I answered hesitantly.

"Why not?" he asked, leaning against the bar with a smile.

"I get off at eleven Ryan, and I'm tired-"

"We can leave whenever you want." he cuts me off. "I'll even drive you home,"

"So you weren't gonna drive me home before?" I asked with a smirk.

"Danielle..." he drops his head with a laugh.

"Don't hang your head," I lift up his chin and stare him in the eyes. "I'll go with you," I gave him a tap on the side of his cheek before going back to work.

Half an hour later I found Ryan waiting for me outside the bar. "Ready?" he asked.

"Let's go," I said, grabbing his arm.

yes i know i know. they still haven't met and i'm sorry but we're getting there.

there is just a lot of background stuff i want you all to know i'm sorryy:((((