chapter fifty four: relief

My eyes widened at her response. His girlfriend?

Jason has a girlfriend?

I thought he's just as single as I am–well actually, used to be I guess. In a way.

But that's not really the point. Jason has a girlfriend?

"Uhm–hello?" her voice snaps me out of my head.

"Sorry, uhm..." I shake my head. "Come in, come in."

I step back from the door and welcome her inside. I noticed she wasn't wearing a jacket which took me by surprise.

It's freezing today. How did she stay outside like that?

"Dani, who is it?" I hear Bev from the living room.

I didn't really know what to say so I just called them into the foyer. "Guys...this is..." I turn to her not knowing her name.

"Annabelle."

I nod at her. "Annabelle. Jason's girlfriend."

The words rolled off my tongue weirdly and the others seemed to not believe it either.

"Jason has a girlfriend?" Raven asked.

"When did Jason," Bev puts emphasis on his name, "get a girlfriend."

I shrug as I'm just confused.

"Not that I'm trying to bash him or anything." Bev apologizes, "You're absolutely gorgeous it hurts but it's just...Jason would be the last person I'd expect to, you know..." she explains.

I completely agree with her. I mean, Jason. Out of all the people here, Jason got a girlfriend. And a really pretty one at that.

"Yeah uhm...he asked me out a couple weeks ago and before he left he told me if I wanted to, I could come here." Annabelle rubs up and down her arm awkwardly.

I notice her uneasy stance and lack of eye contact. I don't want her to feel uncomfortable with us.

"Ok, why don't you sit down with us. Bev..." I turn around and she nods.

Allie and Raven head back into the living room and Bev walks up to Annabelle.

"Oh honey, it's gonna be okay." Bev reassures her by pulling her into a hug.

The embrace was short before Bev walked into the kitchen. Annabelle wiped her eyes and went into the living room.

"I mean, he's gonna be okay right? He has to be okay." I could hear the panic in Annabelle's voice.

I sat down beside her to help calm her down. She rested her head against my shoulder and I placed my arm around her.

"I'm sure he's fine. We just have to wait to hear from someone." I explain.

I felt her nod. "Thanks for letting me stay here."

"Don't worry about it. We're all just as worried." Allie waves off the thank you.

Annabelle sniffles again, finally calming down. "You give really good hugs." she whispers to me.

I laugh under my breath. "Really?"

She nods again as Bev walks back into the living room. She brought more chips and sat in the armchair.

"Ok so please tell me how you two met. Because we had no idea Jason had a girlfriend." Bev laughs and pops a chip in her mouth.

"Yeah, I can't believe he beat you to it." Raven's glare is directed at me.

I bite my lip to hide a smile and shrug in agreement. "Whatever Rave."