chapter forty: a surprise?

I came downstairs after I showered. I changed into a red tank top and my pajama pants that had Santa and his reindeer on it.

When I walked back into the kitchen I realized I was the last one down. And both trays were empty. "So you guys didn't save me anything?" I asked.

They turned to me and I saw Bev's cheeks swell as she chewed. "Sowwy." she said with her mouth full.

I rolled my eyes at her. Man, I really wanted at least one cookie. I walked around the counter with a slight frown on my face.

I heard all of them go back into the living room as I stared at the empty trays. I felt someone brush behind me and I took a step forward from the contact.

"Don't be so upset T. I can make you more if you really want some." I heard Hunter say and I turned around at the offer.

"You would do that?" I asked.

He took the trays off the counter and placed them in a sink. "I mean yeah, it's cookies. They're not that hard to make." he shrugs and runs the water.

When he turns off the faucet I think about what he said. I couldn't pass up free cookies. At the end of the day food was food. "I expect extra chocolate chips." I point at him and laugh.

He dries his hands off on a towel and turns to me. "Still that obsessed with chocolate huh?" He tilts his head slightly to the side.

I gave him an assuring shrug and clapped my hands together. "Would I be me if I wasn't?" I put my hands on my hips.

Something about him not giving me a worded answer made me nervous. He just leaned against the counter, looking at me. A smile crept onto his face before he shook his head.

"No, you wouldn't." he said after a while, dropping his eyes to the floor.

"If you want to watch the movie we're starting!" Carter yelled from the other room. Pushing off the counter he sauntered over to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

He pressed my head against the side of his chest and I put my hand on his back for support. "I remember the stash you used to have in my room." he said as we walked around the counter.

"Well you had a mini-fridge of course I'm putting my chocolate in there." I argued before I felt his hand on my head messing up my hair. I brought my head back and frowned at him. Reaching up I pulled a bunch of his hair as a warning.

"Ow." he muttered.

"Not the hair." I reminded him. He playfully pushed me forward and I stumbled into the view of everyone in the living room. I flipped him off before walking to my spot on the couch. Forgetting he said in the same direction he followed behind me.

Ignoring the glances we got I noticed Allie's expression. Especially her leg bouncing as she tapped her foot. She looked really anxious. I sat down and fixed my hair hearing Hunter laugh besides me. I threw him a glare before picking up my phone and texting Allie.

Are you alright?

I texted her but as the movie went on I had no response. It wasn't until there was about ten minutes left that I got an answer.

No, I'm freaking out right now.
I don't think I can wait any longer Dani.

I watched the bubbles on the screen but they soon went away. Checking the time on my phone it was nearing eleven o'clock. I leaned forward and saw that Allie was looking at me, nervously. I could see it in her eyes.

Meet me in the kitchen.

I responded before getting up. Hearing her follow me I slowed down so she could catch up. She ended up passing me and taking a seat on a stool.