chapter forty one: care

Something was wrong.

Air came out my nose as I felt my cheek pressed against something. When I lifted my head up I saw that I was basically laying on top of him.

But I couldn't be bothered. It was still dark in the room but my eyes were killing me. My head was pounding and I could hear it in my ears.

I pushed myself up with a groan and felt a sting in my stomach. Immediately I knew this wasn't good. I placed my feet on the ground but bent down, resting my head on the lounger.

My head hurt so bad and it was unbearable at the moment. I felt the cushion move and heard Hunter groan as he sat up. "Dani," His voice was low and husky, "What–"

I couldn't even pick up what he was saying as I felt something in my throat. Shit. Quickly I pushed myself up and basically ran into the bathroom, locking the door behind me. I turned on the light and my headache only got worse due to the brightness.

If there's one thing I hate. It's throwing up. As much as I tried to keep it down, I couldn't. I dropped to the floor and coughed it up into the toilet. I was so tired I put my hands on the seat to keep myself up.

"Dani." I heard a knock at the door. Oh no. Somehow knowing he was there made it even worse. I didn't want him seeing me like this. It was ugly. "Thompson if you don't open this door I swear." His tone seemed to drop as I heard the doorknob jiggle.

He never used my full last name. Ever. When he did I knew he was being serious. I reached over and unlocked the door before hovering back over the toilet.

I heard the door open before I saw him kneel down next to me. "Hey, it's okay." he whispered as I felt his hand brush the back of my neck. He picked up my hair as I coughed up more. It was all liquid but despite the fact, I didn't hate it any less.

His palm rested on my back, moving up and down slowly. It gave me some relief but I still felt gross. We stayed there for a few minutes before I finally thought I was done. I reached up and flushed the toilet as he let my hair down.

He helped me stand back up and that's when my head swelled. "Lights." I squeezed my eyes shut and I dropped my head. Through my eyelids I saw them dim and opened my eyes again.

I turned on the faucet and scooped water into my mouth. Spitting it out I could taste the bad aftertaste. "Migraine again?" he asked. I nodded resting on my elbows on the counter.

"There's Advil upstairs—in a closet." I try to explain to him. I thought my head was about to explode.

"Why don't we just go upstairs. You should sleep in your own bed." I turned around and he gently grabbed my arm, shutting off the lights he took me with him up the stairs.

When we got to my room I pointed him in the direction of the closet farther down the hall. I went into my room and walked into the bathroom making sure to brush my teeth and tongue well.

I walked out and saw him sitting at the edge of the bed. I spotted the pills and a cup of water on the nightstand. Taking them I went over to the closet and picked out a long tee.

I felt like I had sweated through this tank top. I went into the bathroom and took my top off. Unclipping my bra I took that off too before throwing the shirt over my head. I kicked the other clothes to the side. I'll get them in the morning.

Walking back out I looked at him and couldn't feel anything but guilt. I just felt bad that he had to keep doing this with me. I stopped in front of him and wondered, "Why do you keep helping me?" I asked genuinely.

"What kind of question is that?" he whispered looking up at me.

"I just–why do you keep choosing to help me?" I asked again breathlessly.

He reached a hand up to my forehead, "Because I want to take care of you." I closed my eyes and leaned into his touch. "Can you let me do that? Please." he whispered.

He brought his hand back but I leaned down and wrapped my arms around his neck. "Thank you." I mumbled over his shoulder. His hands snaked around my back and he pulled me onto his lap.

"There's nothing to thank me for. It's normal to be sick T." His hand went in a soothing motion around my back. I rested my head on his shoulder and took in a deep breath. I didn't care that we were on the edge of my bed, I could fall asleep right here.

I nuzzled my face into the crook of his neck and his arms tightened around me. "But still...thank you." I said against him. "You really didn't have to do any of this."

"Well I'm not gonna sit there and watch. Like I said before I want to make sure you're ok." he reasoned. I wanted to smile and internally I was, but I was just too tired to show it. I shut my eyes as I felt him smooth out the back of my shirt. "Let's get you to bed."

I weakly pulled back from him as he stood up. Pulling back the covers I slipped under but I frowned when he sat at the edge of the bed.

Was he going to leave?

Hunter's POV

I saw the face she gave me as I sat back down. Here I was telling her I would take care of her but forcing myself not to get into bed with her.

"Why don't you just stay up here?" she asked me. I purse my lips together as I look at her.

It was simple. I just couldn't. "Listen, Dani." She sat up as I said her name. "Last time I stayed with you things didn't go over so well..." I tried to explain in the nicest way possible.

She sighed, understanding what I was getting at. "I'm sorry for saying those things. I never
meant any of it." She started playing with her fingers. "I was just a little overwhelmed and I panicked." she explained.

I nodded at her and words jumbled in my head but didn't come out of my mouth. All I wanted to do was respect her feelings. That was it. I just didn't want to mess things up again.

Without warning I felt her grab my hand. "Please. This isn't last time Hunter I–" She cut off shutting her eyes. Her hand squeezed mine before she let go and rubbed her temples.

I looked at her and couldn't believe I was thinking about leaving. If I had it would've been out of complete respect. I stood up and walked over to the other side of the bed. Getting under the covers I was surprised to see her scoot over to me.

I turned on my side and met her eyes. I knew she was trying to hide it but I could tell she was in pain. Instinctively I reached out and pulled her closer. "You're head?" I asked.

She shook her head and rolled over so her back was to me. Taking my hand she placed it on her stomach. I used my hand to rub in small circles over her shirt. I didn't know if I was helping but when she moved closer I took it as a yes.

We stayed like that for a while. I didn't know how long her migraines lasted or if her stomach ache went away. She rolled over so now she was facing me. I could feel her breaths against my chest as I kept rubbing her back.

I was starting to fall asleep myself. Her breaths evened out and she went soft in my arms. I let my head drop into her hair as her hands moved up to my shirt gripping it. That's when I knew.

I wasn't going anywhere.

I'm screaming. I've folded. I'm on my knees. When he said he wanted to take care of her like...ughhh.

Anyways I hope you loved this one as much as I did.

Thoughts???