chapter twenty one: home

Hunter's POV

These last forty minutes have been dreadful. Whatever Callum's doing seems more important than one of the biggest parties on campus. It was a Saturday night and everyone was back from Thanksgiving break.

"Cal!" I shouted, banging on the bathroom door. "What's taking you so long man?"

"What's got you in a rush?" he scoffs through the door.

"You know all the good drinks are gone within the hour...it's been forty minutes," I said checking my phone.

"Then go without me you drunk," he laughed.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yeah, go ahead I'll be there later,"

"Alright," I said as I left the apartment.

~~~~~

Parking down the street I could hear the music blasting from where I was. Walking down the road towards the party I heard someone run up next to me.

"Hunter! What's up man," they give me a little side hug.

I look to my left and see one of my teammates. "Carter," I smiled, putting my arm around his shoulder. "Came for the early drinks too?"
I asked.

"You know me well, Z." he laughs as we walk into the party.

Heading towards the drink table I can only spot a few bottles of the good stuff and they're almost
all gone.

"So what brings you here?" he asks, pouring himself a drink.

"Well, you know me," I threw his words back at him. "I'd never miss a party, especially one like this."

"And what exactly makes this party different?"
he asks, taking a sip.

I didn't even have to explain as we watched a whole group of kids walk in, and after them came even more. I turned back to Carter and gave him the 'I told you so' look.

"Point made," he grins. His phone started ringing and he picked it up. I poured myself another drink and was halfway done with it when he got off the call. "I gotta go, Allie's here." he smiles.

"I swear, everyone around me has someone in their life," I joked.

"Don't be so down on yourself Z," he puts a hand on my shoulder. "You saw how many people are here...you'll be fine." he smiles and I roll my eyes.

I guess you could say that.

I walked around for a few minutes before I decided to go outside. I downed the last of my drink and dropped the cup in the yard. Taking out the pack of cigarettes I took one out and lit it.

Welcome to the second of two things that brings me comfort. Although I'm not proud of it, I can't blame myself. My parents weren't really the best influence on me. Whenever we went to tournaments I would always catch the two of them smoking before we went to bed. Even at home the ashtray was always full.

After a few puffs I got a text from Callum telling me to come inside. I put my cigarette out and walked back towards the music. I saw him standing by the stairs and walked over. I was surprised when I saw another person standing with him.

"What's with the surprised look Zimmy?" she giggled. Looks like she was already a couple drinks in.

"Sorry, I just didn't see you there," I joked, but in all honesty I was being serious. I could not see her over these people.

"Funny." she retorts, whacking me on the arm.

I shrugged it off and turned towards Callum. "So pretty boy finally got out of the bathroom," I gave him a pointed look.

"Shut up," he rolled his eyes. I laughed at his response. I looked at him and didn't see anything different. Maybe he was a little more cleaned up than usual but that was about it.

"Have you two seen Dani?" Addison asks.

"No," we both say.

"Well I went to the bathroom and when I came out she wasn't there," she started. I took a glance around at everyone in the room. "I went back to the drinks table and didn't find her, but then I saw you Cal so I walked over." she explained.

Just as she finished talking I saw one person who caught my eye. I couldn't stand looking at his face so my eyes drifted to the person he was talking to. It was a brunette with a green sweatshirt on.

"Uh Addie–what was she wearing?" I asked, keeping my eye on the girl.

"A green pullover and leggings, why do you see her?" she asks.

I point over to the two I'm looking at. I see her try to push past him but he keeps stepping in her way. Something about it made me a little angry, but it wasn't until he grabbed her that I became alert.

"Woah..." I trailed off as he pulled her away. I look back at the others and we all follow them. I walked outside but it was dark and you couldn't really see much. I heard an argument on the lawn so I went over to check it out.

"Insane? Or am I just easy?!" she yelled, grabbing my attention.

"What–"

"That's what you said right? I'm just easy to sleep with?" she cuts him off.

I looked over at Ryan, but he was silent.

Good. He needs to shut up.

Danielle turned towards the three of us who were just watching in awe.

"Can't forget I'm a slut too huh?" she said and I heard Addison gasp next to me.

When she made eye contact with me I didn't hesitate to stare back. I looked into her eyes this time and really tried to focus. It was what she said next that I didn't expect.

"Because Thompson's such a slut, right?"

I felt my face freeze as I heard those words. They were directed at me for a reason and looking into her eyes, I knew what that reason was.

Holy shit.

She said something else but I couldn't pick it up. I couldn't hear much around me actually. The words kept repeating in my head and I knew,

That was my Danielle.

I could see it in her eyes, the hurt she had when she said those words. The words I said to her years ago. Her eyes used to light up around me but now, they were just dead and dark.

What did I do?

"Hunter!" Callum shouts at me.

I snap out of whatever I was in and respond, "What?"

"Are you coming with us?" he asked in a hurry.

"Where?"

"Dani said she's going home, so we're gonna go check on her, are you coming?" he asked again.

I paused for a second. She's probably the last person besides the dickhead next to me that she wants to see right now. "No," I shook my head. "I'll see you guys later." I said as they walked away.

As soon as they went down the road, I took off towards my car in the opposite direction. I may not have seen her in years but I still remember the things that happened between us. I got in my car and drove off, not to wherever they were going, but to where I knew she'd be.

If only the other two knew what she meant by home they would've been with her by now. But a panicked phone call proved my point.

She wasn't there.

I rolled up in front of the arena and got out of the car. Dani said she was going home.

But home was a place with lots of seats and frozen ground.

ok so the secrets out...so much for that apology Dani :(

thoughts??

DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT AND VOTE!!
IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!