chapter sixty: miserable

I feel miserable.

Scratch that. I am miserable.

It's been 24 hours since I broke up with Hunter. And it's been the worst 24 hours of my life. I feel awful.

Is this how it's supposed to be? How it's supposed to feel when you break up with someone?

Because if I don't already regret my decision, I do now.

But I know that's my heart talking. My head is telling me a completely different story. One I can't base off emotion.

The only thing I can remember from that night is them kissing. And the only way to believe my heart is if I saw him push her away.

But I can't do that because I can't remember anything. I don't know if he pushed her away or not.

On top of that, my phone has been going off the hook, do not disturb obviously not phasing others.

My phone may be silent but my curiosity to check my phone once in a while lets me see the hundreds of texts and missed calls.

Most of them are from Allie or Bev, some are from Cal but I haven't answered any of them. I can't.

Because the more I keep thinking about it, the more I don't want to bring it up.

I haven't gotten out of bed since yesterday but my mental reminder that I have work today, motivated me enough.

I was sick of moping in my bed for hours, so as much as it was a struggle, I sat up and went to take a shower.

Changing into a pair of yoga pants and a sweatshirt I ordered an Uber to the rink. After twenty minutes it got here and within thirty I was at work.

My job has been great since I got it. The people are nice but the kids are the best.

Especially Evie and her friend, Julie. I've been spending a lot of time with those two. I get off at seven but spend extra time after Evie told me her interest in skating.

She had asked me if I could teach her a new trick after she saw me do a lutz jump for fun one night.

Of course, I couldn't say no, so every shift I stay after and help her get some basic moves down. She got the hang of it quickly, but I can't say the same for Julie.

Julie is a little behind but I don't mind helping her out. Evie's been much more helpful when it comes to Julie.

As much as Julie struggles Evie's there to put her right back on her feet. She makes my day everytime.

Tonight they skated around like they always did, but what I wasn't expecting was Evie to come up to me.

"Hey, Ms. Dani." she smiles.

"Hi, Evie." I give her one back.

"Are you okay?" she asks in a high pitched tone.

My smile falters a little bit. "I'm–I'm fine Evie." I try to reassure her.

"Are you sure Ms. Dani. You look upset and mommy always tells me to never leave anyone upset." I stared down at her in awe.

She was adorable, I watched the small gap in her smile as she spoke.

"I'm okay Evie, just a bad day today. Why don't you–"

"Tell me, tell me, tell me Ms. Dani!" she cuts me off with a screech. "Why are you having a bad day?"

Before I could even answer her, another voice echoed throughout the emptied rink.

"Evie, Evie, Evie!" Julie screamed as she skated towards us. "I did it! I can skate backwards!"