chapter thirty two: but she could be naked

Hunter's POV

It was around ten thirty when they got back from the hospital. I heard them come through the door but I didn't want to see them.

What she said back in the hospital stuck with me. It stung.

But I can't even blame her. I shouldn't have held her hand. Stupid impulses.

She had her reasons to tell me to leave and that was it. I couldn't complain about it. Or I could. But that wouldn't make things any better.

When I walked out of the kitchen I saw her eyeing the couch, but even after her clear warning, I wasn't going to let her sleep there.

I couldn't.

So I went over to the couch and plopped myself down. Turning on the TV, I saw her walk into my room out of the corner of my eye.

I turned the volume down as I was tired myself. I stayed up and played some stupid show for background noise as I scrolled through my phone.

Swiping through my feed I saw a post about a Christmas Treefest. It intrigued me enough to read what it was about.

Apparently you submit a picture of your decorated tree and people vote for the best one. The winners get a free batch of some bakery's cookies. I checked it out and it seemed legit, the account having a substantial amount of followers.

It looked like it was held annually and didn't seem like a bad idea for the holidays. Maybe we could have some fun with this, especially Carter. Dude would take it so seriously.

I laughed and liked the post before scrolling again. I rubbed my eyes and checked the time. It was almost midnight and I was feeling the effects of my exhaustion.

I turned off the TV and changed into a pair of sweatpants. I had just put my shirt over my head when I heard a thud come from my room.

"Stop it!" I heard Dani yell.

Concern took over and I walked to the door. "Dani?" I knocked. No answer. "Are you okay?"

"Get off of me!"

I put my hand on the handle, "Dani I-" The sudden urge to open the door swept over me.

But what if she's naked. That's a concern.

What if she needs help? That's also a concern.

"Let me go!" she shouted.

Fuck.

I pushed open the door and walked in with my head on a swivel, "Dani?"

"No!"

My head shot towards the direction of her voice and I saw her against the wall. Her knees were held up to her chest and I could hear her sobbing.

Quickly I walked over and knelt down in front of her. "Dani, hey," I tapped her shoulder.

She was shaking and I didn't know what else to do so I held her arms. "Dani." I said again to try and snap her out of it.

Something seemed to happen as she flinched under me, grabbing onto my arms. "Stop!" she cried again.

"Hey, it's me," I looked at her and she was scared. So fucking scared. She kept hitting my arms and I let her, "Dani, it's Hunter."

She finally looked up at me with tears in her eyes, "Make it stop," she let out another sob.

I realized crying would only make her injuries worse even if she couldn't feel them at the moment. I could still feel her shaking under me as I brushed her hair out of her face.

"You're okay," I tried to calm her down.

She dropped her head and rested it against my shirt, "Just please...make it stop." She said into my chest, clutching onto my shirt.

I wrapped my arms around her shoulders and pulled her into a hug, "It's okay...it's okay Dani." I whispered into her hair.

I gently stroked her back in hopes it would help her settle down. I still heard her quiet cries into my shirt and I shut my eyes.

God I hate seeing her like this.

I felt her tight grip on my shirt loosen as her cries turned into shaky breaths. At least she was calming down.

I pulled my head back and felt her grab my arm, afraid. "Hey, I'm not going anywhere," I wiped the tears from under her eyes, "I'm right here."

She took in a breath before she tensed and looked down at her stomach. I knew she was hurting.

"Let's get you to bed, okay?" I whispered and she nodded at me.

I picked her up from under her shoulders and she hooked her arms around my neck as I pulled her up.

I could see the pain on her face as she tried to stand up, "Put your weight on me," I said as I walked her over to my bed.

I helped her lay down and pulled the covers up. She grabbed my hand before I walked away.

I turned around and looked at her, "Please..." she whispered, lightly squeezing my hand.

I sat down on the bed, "I don't think that's a good idea." I said, unsure of her offer.

Her fingers tightened around mine again, "I can't...be alone..." her voice was weak.

I sighed and rubbed my eyes, still considering what I should do.

"Hunter-"

"Ok." I whispered. I placed her hand by her side and walked over to the other edge of the bed.

I got under the covers but kept my distance. Turning onto my stomach I let my arm fall to the side and was surprised when I felt her grab my hand.

"Thank you." she mumbled.

I didn't pull my hand away and neither did she. I finally felt satisfied when I heard her breaths even out.

With my head on the pillow it didn't take long for me to do the same.

cuties falling asleep holding hands...

what do we think of this?

ily guys and thanks for 180k reads i'm actually mind-blown

i didn't think people would like this story