chapter forty four: an envelope

Hunter's POV

Do you ever just have that feeling? That someone's watching you. When the hairs on the back of your neck stand up and you're not sure why.

Well that's how I've been feeling for the past week. Ever since Christmas there's been this eerie tension in the air. Specifically around me. I was becoming quite paranoid about it.

Although every time I look around, no one's there. I had a slight urge to who it was and the alarming sound of my phone ringing validated my theory.

As the random number flashed across my screen my stomach dropped. I accepted the call out of spite. "What do you want Kelsey?" I slightly yelled.

Walking down the snow covered streets I cringed at her unsettling laugh. "Oh Hun. She's a pretty one isn't she."

"What are you talking about?" I ask, concerned about who she was playing at.

"Christmas looked fun." she said, ignoring my question. "But it would've been better spent with me."

I took in a breath. How did she know where I was? I mean she did tell me that she was coming to visit me. But the only way she would've known where I was that day was if–

"Kelsey, where the hell are you?" I asked, frantically searching around myself.

Her laugh filled my ear and I had to pull away my phone out of discomfort. I stopped in my tracks, whipping my head back and forth. I couldn't see anyone. I mean there were people on the street but none of them were her.

It's only been a few months since I've seen her and the last time we talked, it didn't go so well. Not that I was scared of her, but she was just a straight up psycho. So much so that I've had to distance myself from the group. For their safety and mine.

Weaving past the people in front of me I kept walking in case she had been following me. Lord only knows that she is. "Kelsey just leave me alone." I plead.

"You don't mean that," she sounds cheery. "I know you miss me."

"You don't know a damn thing." I snap. "Look, stop calling me. I don't–"

"And here come Ms. Precious." she cuts me off.

"What are you talking–" I'm taken aback when I ram into someone. I turn off my phone, ending the call before looking at the person I've just knocked down.

"Ow." a certain voice mutters in front of me. When her eyes flick to mine I immediately bend down to help her up.

"What're you doing here?" I asked wholeheartedly, pulling her up by her hands.

When she got to her feet she threw me an unnerving glare. "What do you mean what am I doing here? It's the middle of town." she gave me a snarky reply.

I scratched the back of my head in a bit of embarrassment. That was kind of stupid of me to ask. When I get back to my senses I can't help but feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up again. This wasn't good.

I feel a vibration in my hand signaling that I had received a text. Unfortunate that she had to cut our call short. I can't wait for your next game. I've already bought my ticket. What the actual hell. I turned around, a familiar sense of paranoia coming back.

"What is going on with you Hunter?" I swing my head back and meet her eyes, daring and full of concern.

"It's nothing Dani." I rush out and she looks somewhat offended. I didn't mean for it to sound harsh, but every second I spent talking to her was another second I knew that creep was watching us. "Seriously, Dani, I'm fine."