chapter nineteen: coincidence

Hunter's POV

Something was wrong.

And it wasn't out of the ordinary for something to be, but this time it didn't feel right.

I looked over to the blonde in my bed and rolled my eyes. I need to stop doing this.

I got up from my bed and walked out of the room. Walking through the living room I saw Callum on the couch and he gave me a glance.

"Don't give me that look," I rolled my eyes and entered the kitchen.

I heard him get up and follow me. "Oh c'mon Hunter, how many times are you gonna bring a different girl home?" he asked, leaning against the counter.

"It's just what I do," I shrugged.

No it's not.

I don't even know what I'm doing. Or why.

"Wow," he pushes off the counter and walks towards the archway. "Well, when you find someone let me know, okay?" he raised a brow at me.

"Yeah, yeah," I waved off his words. "But uhm–can you call your dad? I think he needs to check out my foot,"

"Oh yeah, I'm sure Dr. Callahan would be so glad to visit you," he said sarcastically. "It's gonna take more than that to–"

"I'll make you breakfast." I offered.

"Deal," he said quickly. "I needed to talk to him anyways." He walked away and left me in the kitchen.

I tapped the counter idly before that feeling came back again. Something wasn't sitting right with me, but why?

I groaned, turning around and opening the fridge. I took out a carton of eggs and placed them on the counter. Cooking was one of the two things that brought me comfort. Whenever I was stressed I found myself in the kitchen doing whatever.

Baking, finding a new recipe, or trying to make something on my own, I was always there. I had just poured the eggs into the pan when I heard a painful voice behind me.

"Making breakfast for me?" she slithered her arm up my back. "What a gentleman Hunter," I felt her breath on my torso.

"Who said I was making it for you?" I rolled my eyes and pushed her off of me.

"Hey–" she tried clinging back onto me.

"Look, Chloe–you need to leave," I said a little harshly.

"It's Zoey you scumbag,"

"I really don't care," I shrugged. "Just get your stuff and go," I said, leaning against the counter.

"You piece of shit!" she shouted, stomping away. "Don't call me!" she cried.

I rolled my eyes and turned back to the stove.

I wasn't planning on it.

~~~~~

"Where did you learn to cook like this?" Callum asked between bites.

"I'm not even sure," I shrugged. "I guess I just did it when I had time and got better,"

"So humbling," he chuckled.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes and stood up. I took my plate and put it in the dishwasher when I heard the doorbell ring.

"It's open!" Callum yelled from his chair.

I heard the door open and someone walk in. When he entered the kitchen his eyes directed to his son who was stuffing his face.

"Son." he stared into Callum's back before looking at me. "Hunter,"