chapter forty seven: fake it

As he walked into the building I went silent. I mean, dating, is he fucking serious?

We were going to have one hell of a talk when we got upstairs.

For now I let him carry me, not that he was persistent on letting me go. My legs curled around his back and I locked my ankles.

Peeking up from the nape of his neck I see the security guard lasering the back of Hunter's head.

I had talked to him a few times over the years and I noticed the concerned look on his face. But I couldn't blame him.

In the three years I've been in this building, never once have I brought a guy back, let alone be carried in by one.

I grab his attention and give him a thumbs up and a smile. But that doesn't seem to shift his concern.

So to ease his worry, because he looks like an anxious parent, I tell Hunter to stop walking.

I pull my head back and my fingers crawl into his hair. Leaning down I kiss him, hoping to lessen his worry while also feel quite relieved myself

I wanted to do that way too badly.

Hunter's hands were hooked under my thighs, pulling me up to bring me closer.

I made the kiss short. I was not making out in front of the security guard. When pulled back I looked in the direction where he once was.

He nodded his head and went back over to his post.

"What was that for?" he asked, amused by my action.

"The security guard was eyeing you." I laughed. "Had to make sure you weren't some perv."

He nodded and continued walking. As we stepped into the elevator I told him to press the fourth floor.

Setting me down as we get to my room, I pull out my keys and unlock the door.

I kick off my boots and hang up my jacket while Hunter does the same and walks to the teeny area I get to call a kitchen.

I had a measly two counter island and barstools that sufficed for my dining room. It was nothing compared to Cal's dream of a kitchen.

And I wonder why I'm over there so much.

I go in the opposite direction and head into my bedroom. Stripping down I changed into my pajamas which consisted of a pair of flannel pants and a long t-shirt.

I hear a sound at the door and smile, knowing the idiot who's knocking. "Come in!" I say in a sing-song voice.

I watch the door creak open and then close as Hunter steps into my room.

I sit at the edge of my bed and don't waste any time getting straight to the point. "So how the hell are we supposed to do this?"

He looks surprised. Why? Just because I'm exhausted doesn't mean this isn't important.

"I mean, what do boyfriends and girlfriends–sorry fake boyfriends and girlfriends do?" I ask him.

"I don't know why you're looking at me–"

I don't let him finish that sentence. "Because you're the one who got us into this mess!" I blurt out.

He shakes his head at me. "I meant in the fact that I've never been someone's boyfriend T."

My face drops. "Oh."

Oh? That's it? Just an oh.

"So you're a whore–sorry, manwhore." I correct myself.