Chapter 2: Moving quick

The next morning...

"Sir" called Deacon, as he approached Hicks. The older gentleman was walking to his office, phone in hand.

"Deacon!" he said as he turned towards Sgt. Kay.

"I need you to sign this authorization. I was subpoenaed to testify in the Lorenzo trial today." he said showing an envelope to Hicks

"Ah, yeah. I remember. The detective called yesterday to remind me." he answered as he opened the door to his office and grabbed a pen from his desk. He extended his arm so Deacon could hand him the papers, then turned and signed them. He handed them back to him, who placed them in the folder.

He placed the pen in his suit pocket, then pointed at Deacon. "Don't forget, today's the big showdown with 60 squad. It's a pride thing!"

"Yes, sir" he said nodding once

"You gonna make it?"

"Of course. Testifying should take one hour, two tops if you include traffic."

"Good. The challenge is in three hours, which gives you plenty of time to make it back." he said crossing his arms over his chest, leaning against the desk, "Except for Chris, you should have your whole team."

"Street coming today?"

"Yup. Talked to him yesterday. Said he would show up."

"Ok." he said nodding once, again

"Talk to Hondo before you leave to get your assignments."

"Yes, sir" he answered as Hicks went around his desk and Deacon exited the office.

Just as he was closing the office door, he saw Tan at the end of the hall. He seemed somewhat annoyed, holding his bag and waiting by the boxing ring.

"Hey Tan! You okay?" Deacon greeted as Tan turned to face him

"Sup, Deacon? A little bit annoyed. I gotta do my hours in SWAT Academy, but Luca just pulled me out. Said Hondo talked to the boss...looks like I'll be doing chores all day. That's no fun."

"Maybe he has a reason...have you seen him?"

"No, I was gonna ask you the same question."

"Oh, well. Hicks told me to go by him before I take off. So..."

"Where you headed?"

"Downtown. Lorenzo trial. Prosecution subpoenaed."

"Oh, ok."

"Listen, I gotta go. Just have Hondo call me-"

"There he is!" Tan said turning to the locker as the door swung open and Hondo exited

"Yo!" he called

"Hondo, man, why you pulled me out? I was just starting to warm up with the recruits, plus I'm short on service hours. You know that!" Tan complained

"Yadda yadda!" he responded as he made a gesture with his hand of a chicken's beak opening and closing, "Stop your yapping, man!" he said with a smirk

The young officer frowned, as Hondo continued, "Listen, man, I need you to help me out with something and in exchange I'll have the office approve your hours."

"What?" Tan said interested

"Listen, I've been completing everything IAB and the doc have scheduled: physicals, meds, sessions...the works. But I feel like they stretching this thing like bubble gum. Like...at this pace? I'm be back at the field next year!" Hondo said annoyed