Chapter 25: More waiting

"Yo, Hondo!"

Hondo turned around as he heard some of his homies call from the sideline. He was on fire, unstoppable to say the least! Ever since he got there and was picked he hadn't sat down for a minute! Hitting buckets, playing good defense and of course, with the best trash talk and jokes in the court! He had to admit today was a good day, but it was starting to get late. He had considered at one point calling Nichelle, just to check if his sisters had kept it civil, but homies kept insisting, so... he just hoped everything was fine with the ladies.

"Sup, Jay?" he called to the guys

"Phone's been ringing off the hook, boss!" one of them said pointing to his book bag

"Aight!" he said. He turned to the guys playing and said "Yo! I'ma bounce, aight?"

"You killed it, bro!"

"You know how I do!" he said as he shook everybody's hand and waved good bye to the other guys

He approached his bag and upon taking out his cellphone he froze. There were no missed calls from Nichelle, instead he had 3 from Raymont.

"Yo Hondo! Man, you're tougher to get a find than the president. Damn!"

"Hey, young. I gotcha calls! Sorry, I was at 43rd."

"Still got game, Hondo?"

"You know how I do!" he said as he heard the kid giggle, "So, what's up?"

"Man, I just wanna let you know we got the deal! Your dude really came through. Thank you so much! I don't know what he did, but it worked."

"You know what he did? He got two officers from SWAT as his crew leaders, one former and one active."

"For real?"

"Yeah. I told him he needed to sell the idea of something legit and strong."

"Well, it worked. I got a huge meeting next week with their representatives and contractors and the whole deal to set everything straight. This is gonna set me up big time, Hondo!"

"I wanna tell you something though."

"What's up?"

"The man that sealed the deal and closed it out is a man that cares for you, Ray."

"No way! The cop that shot me?" he asked skeptically

"Yeah, he's gonna be the Beta team leader, while my youngest dude is the Alpha leader. Kid is working on some stuff and I think having Buck by his side will help him a lot."

"Hondo man, nothing better mess this up for me!"

"Aint nobody gonna mess nothing. You gotta let that go, Ray. He's a good man that made a mistake and did his penance." Hondo said annoyed as he loaded the car and hopped in

"I didn't mean that. I'm straight, Hondo."

"Good."

"Hey! And uh...word around is that you expecting? Just wanted to say congrats on becoming a baby daddy, man."

Hondo smiled and shook his head. "Thanks, Ray!"

"You're gonna be a great father, Hondo! I know so!"

"Appreciate it. By the way, you...um...help a brother out?" he asked turning on the engine

"What's up? What do you need?"

"I ain't the only one starting a family. Listen kid, the officer I told you about, the one from my team... my guy is struggling a bit. He just got the girl he be fighting for years and I think they're it he process of adopting a kid that they're trying to keep out of jail. Expenses are high as hell, but he's a good guy. Had it tough his whole life. I need you to do what you do best and get the fatest contract ever! Like real dough, you know what I'm saying?"