Chapter 16: 3-1=2

As the birds sang, the sun shined its early morning rays on a quiet setting. Hondo's house seem very still from the outside, as Tan and Deacon stood by the front steps chit chatting. Luca's truck stopped and the officer approached them.

"Hey Luca!" Tan greeted as they shook hands and shared a half hug

"Hey!" a tired Luca answered

Deacon frowned surprised as he extended his hand to him. "Hey Luca, you tired?"

Before answering Luca covered his mouth as he yawn loudly. He rubbed his tired eyes.

"That would be a yes." Tan said as both looked at Luca puzzled

"I'm tired, man, but...I'm gonna be alright. Any idea if Hondo's up already?"

Tan and Deacon shared a look, shrugged, then turned to him shaking their heads quietly.

"Well, let's find out." he said as he went ahead and split between them heading to the front porch. He knocked on the door twice, as Tan took a peak through the window.

"I see movement. I think he's up." he whispered approaching the duo at the door

The doorknob twisted and when the door opened all three officers stood together to discover that the responder was actually Nichelle. She received them with a beautiful smile, looking wide awake. They were happy to see her all smiles in her dark business suit.

"Hey Nichelle!" greeted Luca, this time with much more energy than before. The other two nodded and smiled.

"Hi guys! Everything ok?" she asked, as she combed her hair with her fingers.

"Baby, who's at the-" Hondo asked as he came through the hall, "Yo! Morning stooges!" he said as he noticed the three fellows at his door.

"Hey!" all three just grinned, shook their heads and waved hello

"We just wanted to check up on you...make sure you were okay." Luca said

Hondo approached the group, fist pumped the guys and grabbed Nichelle by the waist. "We good...all three of us!"

The happy couple smiled as there was an awkward second of silence, as the guys processed his comment. When they finally got it, cheering began.

"Yaaaay"

"Woot! woot!"

"That's what I'm taking about!"

All five shared hugs as emotions ran high. After some minutes of small chit chat, Nichelle excused herself to get ready for work, as Hondo invited the guys for a quick word.

"Can I get y'all something? Coffee?" he offered

All three men shook their heads as they answered "No, thank you".

"So, how's Street and the kid doing?" Hondo asked staring at Luca. They took seats in the living room couch, with Hondo sitting on a chair.

"What do you mean?" Deacon asked following Hondo's gaze

"Something happened with Blonde?" Tan asked turning to Luca

"Yeah-" Luca started

"You didn't tell em?" Hondo asked surprised

"I wanted to keep the bad news for later...I didn't want to spoil the moment."

"Bad news?" Deacon asked expecting an answer this time

"Yeah, that's why I'm so tired. I spent a big chunk of last night in the hospital. Street's devastated." Luca said bowing his head

"Why?" Tan asked