Chapter 8: The Island of Gold! Part 3

My name is Penelope.

I used to have a different name, but that was in my previous life.

I don't know why, but I can still remember that fateful day. I was waiting for my crush to come visit me.

He said he was going to gift me some apples from the store, as thanks for helping him out with his homework.

He even texted me before leaving the store that he had something he wanted to ask me about as well.

Although I knew I was just being a little unrealistic, I couldn't help but think he held feelings for me, too.

Not only that, but it made sense, given the various ways he used to behave.

Ah, but I don't have time for that.

Anyway, that night I anxiously waited for him to visit...but he never did.

I was really heartbroken.

But more importantly, I was concerned.

"Had something happend? Is he alright? What if he...?"

I held many thoughts and fantasies in my head, and that was when I realized.

I didn't just have a crush on him.

I loved him.

I still held on to a faint hope that he was just running late, or perhaps we missed each other somehow?

But, reality can be a lot crueler.

It was barely a day later, when I found out the truth.

I immediately collapsed after hearing from my parents.

I couldn't believe it.

My head was spinning with rapid thoughts.

Looking bad, I realize now that I was probably going through the stages of grief within a very small amount of time.

I was struggling to comprehend anything, and as that got worse, my heart began to beat faster.

Faster than it had ever before.

Normally things like anxiety would not be life threatening, but for someone like me with a heart condition.

My body reached it's limit.

And simply stopped functioning.

In the end, that event left not just one victim, but two.

I even asked that shady god of reincarnation about all the details he knew about the incident in order to figure out what happened next.

Although I would've preferred to order that shady god to make things right and compensate both me and 'him', unfortunately I knew I couldn't do that.

I did get some satisfaction though.

Apparently, the perpatrators responsible, as in, a dad and his son who were playing football in their backyard and not paying attention, were the real culprits.

Not only that, but the son confessed to having caused a similar accident with a baseball.

Even if it was an accident, having not only tried to hide the fact, but also ignoring dying people on the street.

Even if it wasn't illegal, which I am pretty sure it was, it's highly immoral for such behavior to occur.

I heard that the family was forced to pay a huge sum of money towards the families inflicted in the incident, including my parents.

Although I had my regrets, I can at least be somewhat satisfied with how things turned out.

Still, I can only hope and pray nothing like that ever happens again.