5.

Cory

"When I was a baby" i pause, "I used to hunt animals" ... "that's probably what got me into killing" i ramble on about my childhood. The trauma of my mother's death and the effects of my fathers illness. I ramble on about Jake. "He's my best friend" ... "has been since forever" and all they do is sit and exchange smiles.

I'm sat at the end of the dinner table, I've finished. Haze and Amanda just look at each other. "So ... when's Hiro coming back?" Amanda swigs her red wine and sighs, "tomorrow" she watches as her daughters facial expressions change. "So soon" Haze fiddles her fork on the last chip. "You may as well just eat that" i pause and she looks at me. "It's just a chip." Her mother leaves the dinner table and goes to wash up. Here's where my loveliness comes in ... "would you like some help?" She chuckles and then gently smacks her back hand on my chest. "No no" she tells and I smile, "I wonder if your child can show me around" i rest beside the counter and Amanda nods her head.

"Great" she puts her plate by the rest of the dishes and I follow her instantly. "Look" she pauses, "this is how it's gonna go" ... "you do not speak of this or of what happened last night" and I nod my head. She opens the flap that has stairs that takes you down to the basement. She stands and looks toward me. "Ladies first" i insist and she rolls her eyes and goes down the stairs, i follow after her.

The basement.

The basement is bigger than my home on the other side. In the corner there's a utility area. Two washing machines, two tumble dryers, two laundry baskets and two extra ... empty. There's wooden flooring in that section and then carpet on the rest. Then, there's cabinets and draws and old whatnots and a double bed, with a single bunk on top that won't be used. No windows, dull lights, a tv stand with an epic tv and a sofa. There is a gym corner. Where you come across a punching bag, a treadmill some weights and a bench press.

"You use that" i point to the mini gym and she nods her head. "You bench press" i widen my eyes and she giggles. "Not in the way you imagine it" ... "it's just there" she sighs. "Your more than welcome to use it" she smiles and sits on the bed. Only some, near half of the bed is not covered on top from the other bed above it. "What's the other bed for?" ... "that was meant to be your friends, guess it could be used for storage."

Jake knows about this. Jake knows about the whole redemption bullshit. I never exactly wanted this. However, when I left Haze last night to go home myself, that's when they caught me by surprise. I was in the police station for an hour going against their wishes until my father told me to do it. That's when my father also got Jake in on it too. His exact words were 'son I'm dying and you need a place to stay, you and Jake will have better if your on the good side.' But we don't belong here. I don't need this ... i don't want this.

I'm just doing it because I have no choice. I prefer my life on the other side, and I've only been living on the good side for 3 hours. Jake stays in the junkyard. He's found a suitable car to sleep in and then he'd just come back and forth for food, drink and for school. Speaking of ... why the fuck do we have to go to school in order to blend in. The whole point of this is to hide us, especially me, from the cops while giving us a chance of redemption ... so that must mean putting us in school.

"School starts tomorrow" Haze smiles and she watches me throw my bags on the extra bed. "Cool" ... "I'll ditch" i smile and she raises her eyebrow. "Not on your first day" she goes on about what the day will hold for me and Jake. One thing I know is that if I'm ever going to be introduced to the class, I'd shoot them all the biggest death glare. Jake would do the same. "You'll meet Ellie" Haze smiles, I look down at the floor and then around the basement. "Yeah" ... "who's that" I ask and Haze goes on about her best friend. "You have a best friend" she pauses, "Jake right?" She stands and I watch her. I like to watch people.