- Chapter 1 -

WHEN THE BEGINNING FEELS LIKE THE END,29th September 5:21 am, the beginning of 6th year

29th September 5:21 am,
the beginning of 6th year.
———

"Madam Pomfrey!" A discombobulated voice strained, struggling to open the heavy doors to the hospital wing; holding a limp girl in their arms.

The girl was visibly fighting to stay conscious.

Her eyes rolled back and open, only to see a blur of black, white and flickering colours as she was rushed through.

She began to attempt to speak, looking up at the stranger who she couldn't quite recognise through hazy vision, but no sound escaped her pursed lips.

She attempted to sit up in the strangers arms, using the little energy she had remaining before abruptly blacking out; eyelids half shut, with her head dropping back in the weak collapse, as her neck muscles gave up. Her arm fell to the side and swayed limply with each step the stranger struggled to make.

The girl had been in and out of consciousness for the duration of the time she had been found. Worrying the individual who's body buckled carrying her dead weight.

The unconscious girl was rested upon one of many spare hospital beds, promptly. The anxious individual's tired arms hanging fatigued by their side and almost panting, as if they had walked a fair distance. A sweat beginning to cool on their brow as their empty arms could finally relax.

Madam Pomfrey and her apprentice nurse rushed over in their nightgowns, aprons handy and being swiftly tied around their waists; both women began fussing over either side of the bed, where the wounded had been collapsed onto.

They began checking for a pulse, weak but fast; pulling her half shut eyelids open and shining a bright white light into them to check pupil dilation, no strong response but promising.

They diagnosed a broken collarbone, wrist, lack of impairment and function almost immediately. Automatically their brains began wracking for solution; beginning to converse about administrating a long list of drugs and what spells would work both fast and effectively. A calm urgency echoed between them and vibrated around the large clinical room.

The girl was covered in both fresh and browning, crusted blood. The sleeve of her striped pyjama shirt torn open, on one side, revealing a nasty gash across her forearm. A gash that was already beginning to seep a fluid that wasn't red. Failing at scabbing over, due to its deepness. Her body desperately attempting to heal.

Two black eyes had already formed around her unresponsive, drooped gaze and were growing puffier by the second with inflammation.

Mud covered her hands and was imbedded under her fingernails, the knees on her pyjama bottoms matching. It looked as if she had fallen on all fours with force.

She wore no shoes, despite where she was found.

"Her name, boy? What's her name?" The apprentice nurse repeated to the stressed student that carried her in.

"He's in shock." Madam Pomfrey snapped her fingers in front of his face, pulling his fixated gaze away from the gory sight before him.

"Grace Webb. Her names Grace." The boy replied, his feet glued to the floor, eyes wide with distress.

The hospital wing doors suddenly flew open, this time with more strength. Another victim of injury stumbled in whilst being supported by someone unscathed.

This new person was also covered in similar gory gashes, with dirty hands and joints; much like Grace. The difference being that they were conscious and able to stand and speak out for help themselves, before processing and responding to the scene that unfolded in front of them.

Everyone locked eyes with each other, the door slamming shut and assuring they were given the attention they looked for. All glanced at and between one another and the body that rested horrifically slack on the hospital bed.

Puzzle pieces attempted to fit together at the close similarities between both casualties. What had happened to both of them, to have caused such abnormal injury?

Though the confused and concerned look on the two new comers faces made the pieces seem jagged and forced. The mystery prevailed and became more complex. They had no idea who the girl was or how she had succumbed similar injuries.

A deafening silence cut through the clinical hall.

"Anyone who doesn't need medical attention, please leave." Madam Pomfrey demanded, breaking that silence. Remaining calm but firm.

The injured were seen to punctually and those who wandered in unscathed, accompanying the injured were forced to leave. Feet being forcibly moved from glued positions if not complying.

Eye contact between the two unscathed individuals, as they began sluggishly walking away, was avoided like lives depended on it. Like perhaps if they acknowledged each other they'd also end up a victim of injury and occupy one of the many free hospital beds. A mutual decision to ignore the presence of the other person, before the corridor stemmed off into two.

A sigh of relief could be heard escaping both of the uninjured individual's mouths, as their footsteps wandered off into different directions. Gladly taking different paths.

A deafening silence echoed through the empty morning corridors, unsettling a number of ears until news was shared regarding the unresponsive victim of the night.

Grace Webb had been put into a medically induced Coma only two short hours later.

The drugs and magic being used to reverse her injuries and preserve her life, too intense for an active state of mind. Both professionals claimed it was the kindest direction to go down.

If Grace were to survive, she had to be forced into a permanent state of rest until her body could deal with the side affects of such injuries and medical intervention.

No one knew what happened to her, though staff seemed to have a better understanding than they let on.

Questions could not be answered until the girl eventually was pulled out of or resisted her induced slumber. Which wasn't guaranteed.

Eventually, almost every student knew her by name. All coming up with their own theories around the mystery. Some more ludicrous than others.

These rumours weren't settled by the claims and whispers that Madam Pomfrey was bewildered by Grace's diagnostics. Which supposedly triggered an obsessiveness revolving around the unassuming sixth year and how she ended up in such a dangerous physical state.

After some time, the whispers and rumours fizzled out. Life moved fast at Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry and students never lingered on old news.

Though one thing was for sure... for as long as Grace Webb slept, she would be forever remembered as:

The girl who wandered into the forbidden forest and lived to never tell the tale.

———

A/N: I am super excited about the potential of this fanfic after the experience of Black Moon.

•You will meet Sirius Black in Chapter 6
And Regulus in Chapter 7.